Chapter 42

Lucas opened the drawer and found some framed pictures of Robert and Andy. He was startled by what he was seeing. There were pictures of the two of them in New York, Montana, Seattle and Brazil. There was also a photo recently taken at the German colony party.

Lucas: Sully and Herrera?  Together?  I could never imagine that she is the mystery girlfriend.  But if it's because of Herrera that Sully wanted to move back to Seattle, I can't imagine how they met.  And seeing these pictures, they look so happy.  Not even with Claire I saw him as happy as I see in these pictures.  I don't remember him taking Claire to meet his origins in the German colony, but from what I see in this photo, with Herrera, he was there.

He continued watching the images. Below the frames was also a photo album with a card written by Robert that said:

“This is the first of many photos that we will still take together. This album will keep the memories of our love and all the happy moments that we will still live.”

The date on the card showed that their relationship had lasted for over a year. Then, Lucas began to reflect on the signs that both gave and that he had never noticed.

Lucas: That's why Herrera said she had the key to the house, but then she made up that story and I believed her. That's why Sully pulled her off the bar when a guy was flirting with her. That's why Herrera wasn't upset that she lost her job as captain of the 19. So when Sully called me so late asking to get him a spot in Seattle it was because of Herrera. Of course... at that time Captain Herrera was being treated for cancer and, if I'm not mistaken, that same day he had a heart attack. And the main thing is that he switched with Gibson on the call in which he had an accident. He wouldn't leave her alone in the same spot where Claire died.

Lucas thought about opening the photo album, but he decided against it, as he had already invaded his friend's privacy too much.

Lucas: Now I understand why Sully never wanted to tell me who his girlfriend was. He is superior to Herrera and their relationship is against the rules. Just as I hide from everyone that I'm Victoria's boyfriend, they also have to keep it hidden. Victoria and I have never publicly acknowledged our love, but now, can we at least talk to Sully and Herrera? Can we support each other? However, I am the boss of all of them and, from the moment I know this information, I will have to take some action. Maybe it's better for me to pretend I don't know anything and not risk spoiling my friend's happiness.

So he packed up everything as he found it and decided that he wouldn't tell anyone what he knew. He just took some clothes that were in the drawers below and went to the hospital.

Lucas returned to the hospital that morning carrying Robert's things.

Lucas: Hey my friend, what a scare you gave us!

Robert: I confess that I thought you would never find us.

Lucas: It wasn't easy to find you, but I would never forget the address of the call you and Herrera went to. So, all that was left for us to do was search that region for some sign.

Robert: That place once again made me have one of the worst days of my life.

Lucas: I'm sorry for what happened. And how is your leg?

Robert: I still can't feel it and I can't move it. Dr Koracick says it's temporary, but I need intensive care here at the hospital. Therefore, I have no forecast for hospital discharge.

Lucas: I hope everything goes well. And, Sully, I know we've been apart for a long time, but I want you to know that you're still my best friend and I'll help you with whatever it takes.