Part 42

Junta hums happily as he strolls by my side, grinning widely.

"You seem cheerful today," I comment, smiling up at him. "What's the occasion?"

"Oh, just that I get to walk home with you since there's no practice today," he explains with a grin.

I nod.  "I'm glad too, then."

"Kazuki's working today, right?" Junta frowns lightly, looking up into the sky. "What should we do about dinner? I should learnable dish or two. All I can make is cup noodles."

"I could try—"

"No!" he yelps, waving his arms. "I'm not letting you in the kitchen on Kazuki's orders."

I laugh loudly. "I was joking. I don't want to eat my food either, you know. I'd rather the both of us live to tomorrow."

"That's okay," he assures me gently. "Just focus on your games."

I can't help but smile. Junta's such a kind and genuine person...unlike that little brat. Earlier today I gave him back the clothes he bought me, so we shouldn't have to interact again. I'm pretty sure I was clear about not wanting to even see him. I sigh inwardly. Just thinking back on him makes me feel bothered. Something tells me Kiki didn't make him that way.

But that little demon did make Junta believe he's my childhood friend. I have to get rid of it, to save him, so he can end up with someone he's not tricked into loving.

"Haaaaru!" a squeaky voice calls and Kiki runs around the corner toward me.

Crap. I summoned her by thought. Maybe if I stop thinking about her she'll go away. Yeah, I'm sure I'm just imagining—

She jumps to put an arm around me, falling with her whole weight and almost dislocating my shoulder. "Let me join you guys for dinner!"

"Get off!" I shove her roughly away and she laughs nervously. I grab her shirt as she tries to back away and lift her up, yelling, "How could you set a little monster like that on me without any warning? He's impossible to fall in love with, so what's the plan, huh? Isn't it enough to get me hit by a car? You—"

"Haru," Kiki warns quietly, waving a finger in my face. "Everyone can see you when I'm in this form."

"Wha—" I quickly let go and turn to Junta as she stumbles away. "Aha, sorry bout that. Just...ignore it, okay?" I know it doesn't matter what I say about Kiki, since she can change what they hear with her magic.

"A little monster?" he asks curiously, tilting his head in confusion.

"Yeah," I sigh, "there's this kid..."

A familiar black car pulls up next to us and I choke on my words. Am I magic? Am I cursed? How do I keep summoning the last people I want to see?

Tsuchiya opens the door and backs up as Koganei steps out, flicking his hair back.

"Haru Mori."

"Bleh. It's you." I feel disgust rise in my throat and see Kiki grinning out of the corner of my eye.

"You are the first person, male, female, or any gender to say you have no interest in me."

"Yeah," I sigh, done. "No shi—"

"Intriguing," he interrupts. "Well I have a proposition for you: I'll make you fall for me," he tilts his head back haughtily, looking down on me, "no matter what it takes."