Part 75

Through the next few months I continue to hang around Emi's group, but she has no intention of letting me hide in the shadows. She'll slow down to walk next to me or be intentionally silent to let me open up and talk. Same with Riporin and Amin. Everyone is so welcoming to me, even with what I am, and I can't help but feel guilty for taking up their precious time and care.

And then Emi gets a boyfriend.

His name is Mori, our upperclassman. He's not related to me, we just happen to share the same name, which he thinks is the funniest thing in the world. I don't like him or trust him, but Emi does so I let it slide.

"C'mooon, Haru!" she whines while I glare at Mori's back as he walks away. "He's a nice guy, okay?"

"That's the problem," I mutter. "Nice guys are never good news. Just...promise you you'll be careful."

"I will," she assures me. "Besides, I was a nice person and I always will be, and you trust me."

"Because..." I search for an answer, but when I can't find one I sigh. "Fine. Just promise you'll be careful."

"I will. Plus, he's super respectful! I've set my boundaries and he respects them!"

I watch her eyes sparkle nervously. As my first friend, Emi's happiness is the most important thing to me.