Part 58

"Look!" Emi points past me to the baseball field with a scheming gleam in her eye. "It's Junta! Don't you want to go say hi?"

I follow her finger to see him chatting with the manger, a younger girl with dark blue hair in a short bob. She's cute, too. Not my type, obviously, but I bet, if Junta weren't under Kiki's curse, he'd be able to fall in love with her. I frown sadly. I'm sure they'd already be happy together, if it weren't for me.

"No, I don't want to interrupt him," I brush her off, speeding up. Emi's forced to jog to catch up with me, sighing.

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind." She glances at me worriedly. "Are you avoiding him or something?" Her eyes widen and she puts a fist in her palm. "Is it because he tackled your cousin?"

"How do you know that?" I yelp, a little creeped out. When she doesn't answer with anything other than a smirk I smile. Emi always seems to know everything about everyone, making her one of the most popular girls in school, as well as the biggest rumor spreader. Not that I envy her. I'd much rather hide in the shadows, like I already am.

We board the train and I settle down next to her, lost in thought, my eyes half glazed over. As we reach the next stop she jumps to her feet and rushes to the door, making me startle out of my daze.

"What are you doing? You're gonna fall over!" I jump up and grab her arm, but the doors open before I can do anything and I look out into the station to see—

"Emi!? H-Haru?"

"Riporin? Amin?" I feel a smile spread over my face as I let go of Emi's arm and they rush in, jumping up to hug us both.

Riporin and Amin were our friends back in elementary school, along with Miyuki, Harue, Ryuya, and Yuri. To be honest, I put those years behind me due to some...unpleasant experiences, but seeing them again brings it all back—the pain, the embarrassment, the confusion, but mostly the joy and companionship I almost forgot about. Those were good times we had together.

"How have you two been?" Amin asks happily.

"There's a lot to catch up on," Emi gushes back.

"That's perfect then!" Riporin claps her hands cheerfully. "We were talking about hosting a reunion for everyone we used to hang out with."

"Really? That sounds great!" Emi copies the movement. "Do you need help getting in touch with any of them? I'm pretty sure I've got most of their phone numbers..." She digs through her pockets until she finds her phone, then starts furiously tapping and scrolling.

"Of course you do," I sigh endearingly.

"Thanks a ton!" Riporin turns to me and points back the direction they came from. "Wanna grab a bite, you two?"

"We'd better hurry before the doors close," I agree and we rush out just as they start to hiss shut.