Chapter 9

Steve and Eva returned several hours later, laughing after their morning date. Both were happy to have the other back with them. It was as if the world finally made sense.

Nat went up to Eva, who tensed and said, "Evelyn, I want to apologize for earlier. I didn't-"

"It's okay," the blond woman said, smiling. "Steve explained everything."

Nat was surprised and it showed. "He did. What did he say?"

"He told me how times have changed. And I'm glad they have. But I also want to say sorry."

"For what?" Nat returned Eva's smile. "You did nothing wrong. It was all me. I shouldn't have-"

"For giving you the wrong signals." Eve looked so upset, Nat felt her heartbreak. "That was never my intention." She took Nat's hand and gave a small smile. "But I hope we can be friends."

It felt like Clint had shot an arrow through Nat's heart and Hulk ripped it from her chest. But her training held her in good standing as she kept her smile up. Steve came up to Eva, wrapping his arm around her waist, sending jealousy through the Widow.

"Come on, sweetheart," said the super soldier. "Let's go see what's on the agenda."

"Okay, Stevie," Eva said. "I'll see you later, Natasha."

Nat simply watched them walk away. She clenched her fists even after they were out of sight, praying for the strength to let Eva go, but knowing she would fail. Even if failing meant punishment, Nat would happily fail for just a taste of Eva's sweet nectar. All she had to do was-

Clint walked up to her and said, "I know that look. Whatever you're thinking, don't."

"She's too good for him," she said, her voice tight.

"Nat, this is a dangerous road-"

"I know." She sighed. "I just-"

"Don't do anything stupid." Clint leaned against the wall next to her.

Nat smiled. "When have you known me to do stupid things?"

"Do you want that list chronologically or alphabetically?"

Her lips twitched. "You know, I hate you sometimes."

He put his chin in his hands on the side of the table she sat at, trying to look cute but failing. "You love me and you know it."

They shared a laugh before following Cap and his girl to the meeting room.