Chapter 86

All of the Avengers went to the meeting room. Clint told everyone what happened, his leg shaking from worry. Worry how Loki would take it, worry for his kids, worry about what Nat had planned. Eva held his hand. Now that she knew he wouldn't try anything, Eva had no issue with touching him. She took it as a sign that she was healing.

Loki couldn't sit still when he heard what HYDRA wanted in exchange for Clint's aid. He paced the length of the room, barely acknowledging Clint's wife, Laura, entering the room with drinks and snacks. Her eyes were bloodshot from tears. She left after touching Yelena's shoulder in thanks, as she and Sharon were the ones to pick her up. Only Loki's sister knew that he was hiding something behind the agitation.

"So," Loki responded, looking at Clint once he had finished, "you just let her go? You didn't try to actually protect anyone?"

Clint hadn't stopped crying since Eva and Steve had gotten home. He wanted Loki to understand, though he felt he deserved every bit of rage the God had to throw at him. Clint had let Loki's tormentor escape again. He was grateful that Eva forgave him, but he didn't believe he deserved it. He didn't even expect Loki to give it.

Still, he said, "They have my kids, Loki. I wanted them safe. I tried to-"

Thor held up his hand and replied, "It is alright, Barton."

Sharon added, "Any of us would have done the same." She looked at the raven-haired god. "Loki, Evelyn doesn't blame him. You shouldn't either."

Loki rounded on her, "I'm not Evelyn!"

Eva said, "That's true." She waved her finger in front of her to encompass all of Loki. "Your whole aesthetic would look terrible on me. Now, tell us the truth. What's really wrong?"

"Please," Thor pleaded, taking Loki's hand, "don't hide from us, ᛚᛟᚢᛖ- love."

Loki looked at everyone. They all waited, not wanting to push him. He owed these people for helping him escape, but he still didn't fully trust them.

He looked at his sister, took a nervous breath, and explained, "She can find us again, Eva. If we leave-" He swallowed hard. "We're trapped all over again." The amethyst-haired woman gave him a sympathetic and understanding look. "I can't go back to that."

She got up and went to him, her hands on his arms as she said, "We won't. This time, we take back our power."

"How?"

Her features grew hard. "We hunt her down."

Steve jumped up and furiously said, "No, Evelyn! That's not the answer!"

She turned toward her fiance. "You're acting like I want other options."

Tony saw the dark look in her eye and stated, "You might if you want to stay out of prison, Malifacent."

"Look," Bucky said, trying to calm the situation, "I've been where you are. Hunting her down won't make the nightmares stop or the pain and fear go away. It sounds like a good idea right now, but it will only make things worse. Don't go off and kill her, okay?"

Loki and Eva shared a side glance before looking back at the group. They all seemed ready to intervene should the twins try anything.

"Whatever you say," Loki replied.

Eva then said, "If you say so."

No one seemed to notice the two of them hid a hand from the group. Of course, the pair had their fingers crossed.