Chapter 80

Eva and Steve looked up as they saw Loki run into the room. He had sensed she was awake and tried to give the couple time alone together, but he couldn't stay away any longer. He had to see his sister.

"Eva!" he said, going up to her and giving her a tight hug.

"Hey, Mischief," she said, returning the embrace. "I'm okay."

Loki pulled back to look her over. "Are you sure? He hit you hard and-"

"Yes, I'm sure." She gave him a mischievous smile. "I'm kinda bored in here though."

At that moment, Bruce came in with her charts and replied, "I know that look. Should I expect the compound riddled with pranks soon?"

Loki gave an exasperated look and said, "Depends on our mood."

Eva gave him a surprised look before smirking again. There was definitely a new dynamic between her and Loki that hadn't been there before and she liked it. She could almost see all the mischief they would cause. Steve chuckled as he shook his head. He knew Eva didn't need to be Loki's twin to cause havoc in the Compound.

Bruce only sighed and asked, "Now, why did you hide your injury, Evelyn?"

Her playful demeanor dropped as she answered, "No reason."

"What did we just talk about, princess?" Steve chastised, though he knew he wouldn't get away with it even using his Captain voice.

She gave him a look that said she wasn't falling for it. "You said to tell you, not others."

Loki paced away and yelled, "What are you hiding, Eva?"

Steve took a chance and said, "Tell him, princess, or I will."

Her mouth fell open. After their talk, she had hoped her fiance would understand why she didn't say anything. But now, he was trying to force her to talk.

"Fine," he said with a sigh when he saw she wasn't going to say anything. "She didn't want to take your moment away, Loki. So, she lied about her condition."

Loki gave Eva a sad, shocked look as he asked, "Is this true, Eva?"

Tears welled up as she explained, "After everything, you finally have people seeing how amazing you are. And I didn't want to ruin that for you."

He went back to her and hugged her. "I'd much rather have you safe to enjoy the moment with me. Don't hide it again. Please."

She buried her face into his shoulder. "Okay, Mischief."

Steve chuckled and replied with a smile, "You two are definitely acting like twins now."