Chapter 141

Loki decided to stay and talk to Odin a bit longer. Eva was happy for him. He finally had everything he ever wanted. Bucky wasn't too thrilled with the idea, however, but if Loki wanted to stay another night, he would do it for his brother.

That wouldn't stop him from complaining about it. The Avengers were all sitting in a study set aside for them when he started up for the third time that afternoon.

"After everything Odin did to him, why-" Bucky began.

Steve sighed and said, "Being a father isn't easy, Buck. Odin made mistakes."

Thor added, "He put diplomacy before many things, but he still cared for Loki."

"He still put everything else before my brother," Bucky pointed out.

"Trust me, Bubba," Eva said, looking up from her book. "I have the same powers as Loki, and he wasn't lying. Odin does care." She chuckled. "He actually gave Loki many of his better tricks."

Bucky was going to argue again when Loki walked in and said, "That was a real surprise, but it was true."

There was a look of joy on Loki's face that hadn't been there for some time. It irritated Bucky. He couldn't understand how his siblings could just forgive and forget everything Odin had done to Loki, never mind himself, Eva, and Thor.

"I'm glad you're finally getting time with him," Sharon said.

"It is a nice change," Loki happily admitted. "It was good just to talk about it. We had a good laugh!"

Everyone but Bucky joined Loki's merriment as Eva said, "We know. Thor got his laugh from Odin. It was loud."

Bucky sighed and replied, "I know you want to have a father, Lokes, but I don't trust him. Not after everything."

Loki's smile fell. He could see his brother's side. At one point, it had been his own.

"I understand," the green-clad god said. "We're just starting to mend that bridge."

Thor came up and took Loki's hand, saying, "I'm happy for you, ᛚᛟᚢᛖ - love."

"I wish it hadn't taken so long and-"

Bucky couldn't hold it in any longer and said, "That's why I don't trust it, Lokes. It took centuries, and you being tortured, for him to change."

"I understand, brother." Loki looked down, trying not to let the hurt he felt overflow to his siblings. "I'll be careful, don't worry."