Chapter 68

⚠️*TW: Child Loss*⚠️

This chapter contains events that resulted in a miscarriage. It will be referenced in future chapters, but you can skip if you don't want to read the rougher details behind it.

------

Thor growled as he asked, "What more atrocities could she inflict upon you both?"

The whole of the room waited on bated breath. If Loki had repressed it and it was the reason for Eva's need for retribution, it had to be worse than anything they had heard yet. The room was so quiet, it was like even the walls were waiting for the pin to drop.

Tears flowed from Eva's eyes as she said in a whisper, "I lost the baby."

Steve's shocked tone shattered the silence as he asked in a choked voice, "You were pregnant? Was it-"

Eva collapsed to the floor, Loki guiding her. "I didn't know! I swear I didn't!"

Seeing that his friend was unable to tell the story, Loki explained, "We found out and tried to keep it secret but," he looked to Wanda, unable to get anymore past the lump in his throat and the rocks in his gut, "I can't."

Wanda used her powers to read Loki's mind, seeing him give her permission with the look he gave her. He wanted everyone to understand their soul-deep hatred for the redheaded Widow. He just couldn't talk about it any more than Eva could. Her heartbreaking gasp had Bruce by her side instantly.

"What happened, Wanda?" Bucky asked, but he knew he really didn't want to know.

Wanda started to tear up as she replied, "She found out. She took Evelyn to a special room, where she screamed for hours. She had-" She also collapsed, fighting tears. "I can't... not that!"

"It's okay, precious," Bruce soothed, knowing the memories were playing in real time for his girlfriend. "We can-"

Eva, who succumbed to silent tears, said in a monotone, "She beat me until I miscarried. She killed the baby."

Eva's eyes dimmed. She felt the blows to her stomach as if they were in real-time and doubled over, fighting the urge to vomit. The phantom sensation of blood ran down her legs as she felt the little life of her unborn child slip from her body to the floor played through her mind. The image of Nat stomping on the already dead fetus until it was nothing but mush on the concrete stayed in front of her until she felt Loki touch her shoulder, pulling her back to the present.

The room was filled with various feelings. Steve had his own anger growing in him. Yelena was sickened by just the thought as Sharon held her hand. Sam wanted to strangle his former friend. Bucky didn't know how to respond, his jaw hanging open. Tony felt sick, wanting to throw up. Clint had to leave the room. Bruce consoled Wanda. Thor had lightning play over his clenched fists.

Eva glared at Yelena through the tears, asking, "Do you see why I want her dead? It's not just for me and Loki, but the baby."

Loki lashed out, saying, "She killed the only good thing we had in that place!" He took a breath as Thor calmed enough to try and comfort his boyfriend. "They weren't mine, but I still cared for them." The memory of first feeling the little life and when it was snuffed out played in the green god's mind. "And she just-"

"You don't need to finish that sentence," Wanda said with a growl. "I'll help."

Yelena's features grew hard as she replied, "Me too. Sister or not, she went too far."