Chapter 38

Eva and Loki woke up. There was no sign that anyone had sat in the corner of Clint's room the rest of the night. They began to make their way downstairs. They were ashamed of how their first night free had played out, but they weren't going to let it hinder them. If they could stubbornly try to escape for months, they would tackle returning to normal the same way.

They passed the lab on their way to the kitchen. Eva heard voices inside.

"Loki, why don't you go see what they have?" Eva suggested.

"Are you sure?" he asked nervously.

"Yes, Mischief. I'm sure. It's like that time we got out and found the kitchen after not eating for a week, only we won't get beaten for it. They won't mind."

"Alright."

She waited for Loki to be out of sight. This was nothing like sneaking through their prison. And that scared her more than she dared to admit. Still, she inched her way into the room to listen better. No one seemed to notice her.

"Are you out of your mind?" Bucky growled.

"I know it sounds like it will be hard, but-" Tony began.

Steve groaned in exasperation and replied, "Neither of them are in the right head space to do it!"

Clint, who had returned early that morning, added, "Not to mention how irate it could make her."

Tony sighed, "She won't talk, and this is all she asked for us to do for her cooperation. It won't be-" Thor stomped forward, catching everyone off guard, and grabbing Tony, lifting him off the ground. "I take it you don't like the plan?"

"You know not of what you speak!" Thor said. "You did not see them last night!"

"Thor, put him down!" Steve ordered.

The god dropped the billionaire hard enough that Tony had to stumble back. "They go nowhere near her. Do I make myself clear? I will not have them hurt further."

Steve looked around at his team, who all shared a similar look. "None of us do."

"So, we are agreed then? They stay safe and away from her." Tony began laughing but Bruce tried to get him to stop with a subtle shake of his head. "You think their suffering is funny?"

"Of course not," Tony said, turning to his friends. "What's funny is how you all suddenly want to protect them from everything."

"And what is wrong with that?" Wanda asked, getting irritated.

Bruce placed his hand on hers and answered, "Nothing is wrong with it. It's logical, even."

Tony gave a pained, yet exasperated look as he then replied, "Except this is how we finally get rid of Natasha Romanoff!"

Eva had made it nearly to Steve's side. But hearing that name, caused her to stumble into the nearest table. Glass fell to the floor, breaking upon impact. Papers scattered. Everyone turned to look at her. She was having trouble breathing, as if there was very little air in the room. She felt phantom fingers dance along her skin and cold needles force themselves into her veins. She couldn't see them, but she could feel them.

Bucky recognized what was happening, as did Tony. Eva was having a panic attack.

But in the quiet, everyone heard her say in a soft, terrified voice, "No..."