Chapter 46

Steve, still angry at his conversation with Eva, snapped at Bucky, "What are you talking about?"

The brunette super solder got in the blond man's face, saying, "What you did was fucked up! Do you get mad at kids for their comfort blankets too?"

Steve scoffed. "No, why would-"

"I wish I had what they do." Bucky had to admit it, to get his best friend to understand, despite how emotional it made him. "Loki has become her comfort blanket, a way to cope." Steve stared at him, the gravity of what he just did hitting him. "And you yelled at her for needing that! She needs to hug people! That's who she is! But every touch makes the memories replay in her mind! He probably healed her wounds and held her when she broke down!" Steve tried to keep from breaking down himself, realizing that Bucky needed to tell him this, to get it off his chest. "He kept her going in that hell. Everything he did for her, she did for him. That's why they can touch."

Steve's voice came out quivering. "So, how do I fix this? I didn't mean-"

"For now, space. Over time, she will get better, but for now, they need to comfort each other still."

"I just want to be the one to help her, Buck."

Bucky started to calm down, wiping his eyes and trying to stop the snot from dripping from his nose. "I know, Steve. Believe me, if I had someone like Loki after everything I went through, I'd need them still." He took in a shaky breath. "Give it time and she will come back to you."

"I just don't know what to do."

Tony came up to them then and replied, "You just told her you would be patient and wait. Did you lie?"

Steve instantly answered, "Of course not!"

"Then, make your words real."

Steve looked at Tony in shock. The shorter man was right. Steve couldn't say one thing and do another. Not with his girl. She needed him to learn what he could to help her, to get her some semblance of normalcy back.

"He's right for once," Bucky said, echoing Steve's thoughts. "You need to get your jealousy in check, because she will always need Loki."

With that, everyone left Steve in the entryway as he thought about everything. These feelings had been building up in him and if he didn't talk to her, get to know why, it would happen again. And he couldn't live without Eva, not again. It was too painful the first time. He couldn't let his fear of losing her push her away. He had to make this right.

Even though Bucky had told him to give her space, he had to talk to her now. He couldn't wait to make things right and let the unfounded anger fester between them.