Chapter 58

It had been a week since Nat escaped. Tony combed surveillance of the areas outside the compound. It was slow going once he was forced outside of New York City. Everyone else was going old school and looking through files, trying to find anything that stood out about the people escorting the Widow.

"We're getting nowhere," Eva said in exasperation.

Loki picked up some new papers as he said, "We'll find something, Eva. We can't give up now."

Steve gave her a small smile, adding, "He's right. This wouldn't stop you before, don't let it stop you now."

Wanda brought in a bowl of snacks for everyone as she also replied, "It's just a hiccup. We'll find her."

Tony looked up from his computer and suggested, "Why not use our own assassin?"

Bucky got in the billionaire's face, growling, "Very funny, Tony."

"I'm serious. You'd know her better than us because of your background."

Without warning a dagger came flying at Bucky. He saw it from the corner of his eye and caught it before it gave him a new hole in the head. He looked to see who had thrown it. Everyone was facing-

"Eva?" Bucky asked in shock.

"Stop holding out on us," she ordered, her features filled with malice. "I won't miss next time."

"Ever since you came back, you've been more violent and angry." He sighed, trying to get his own rage under control. "I don't like this change."

She gave a dark chuckle. "Maybe I do."

A voice came from the entryway, calling out, "Guess who's back home? Where is everyone? Sha? You here?"

"Who the hell is that?" Eva asked, her eyes glowing and ready to attack as Sam walked into the room.

Bucky immediately moved between Eva and Sam, preventing her from harming the man as he said happily, "Hey, doll! This is a surprise!"

Sam looked around and saw Eva, unable to place her, and replied, "That was the purpose of not calling. So who's this chick and where's N-"

Bucky silenced his boyfriend with a hungry kiss. He knew the name he was about to say and didn't want to risk anything happening to Loki or Eva. Hell, for all he knew mentioning the Widow's name would cause the amethyst-haired woman to attack Sam.

Bucky then smiled, one shared by the slightly shorter man, and said, "Get to the bedroom so I can show you how much I missed you."

"The things you do to me," Sam said.

They both ran off, Bucky chasing the coffee-skinned man up the stairs. Both were laughing just before a door slammed behind them.

Eva just stared after them, saying, "I don't know if that was disgustingly cute, or cutely disgusting."

Loki chuckled, replying, "It was cute and you know it."

For the first time in a week, Eva gave a sweet smile that reminded everyone of the woman they first met. "Fine, but only because Bucky's happy."

"