Chapter 32

Nat's statement brought all the anger back to Steve. His grip tightened on his shield.

"She isn't yours!" he said. "She's not an object, Nat! Let! Her! Go!"

"Pretty words won't win you the girl, Rogers," Nat replied in a venomous tone. "I've won. She's mine."

They knew then that Natasha Romanoff was lost to them. There was no hope for redemption. She had fallen.

Loki whispered to Bucky, "Come with me. I'll need your help."

He hated that the power dampener was still on him, but he understood why. However, it left him far weaker than they knew due to the physical pain he was in. He couldn't do much on his own for Eva in that state.

"What are you going to do?" Bucky whispered back.

Without a word as Nat began her attack on Steve, Loki and Bucky made their way over to the bed. The look of fear in Eva's eyes caused Bucky to start breaking down. He made quick work of the restraints on her ankles, but Loki stopped him from freeing her hands.

Behind them, Nat got several good kicks in, knocking Steve to the floor and nearly taking out his family jewels. Thor acted as a barrier between the two brunette men and Eva, ready to fight if need be.

"Hold her arm still and straight," Loki instructed, pulling out and readying the syringe. "Use your full strength if you must. She is a super soldier now."

"Fuck," Bucky cried, despising the sense of deja vu he was getting and the fact that Eva was enduring it in front of his eyes. "Okay. I'll do what I can." He looked into his friend's emerald eyes. "Eva, please don't fight. I-" he took a shaky breath. "I don't want to hurt you. I'm so sorry." He begged for a small part of her mind to be there and listen to him. "Don't hate us for this."

Loki put the metal to her skin. "It'll be over soon, my friend. Last needle, I promise."

Bucky's head snapped up at that. No, Bucky pleaded in his mind. For God's sake, please say this is all a nightmare. Bucky's tears fell onto her arm as Loki inserted the syringe.

As soon as the gold liquid was emptied into her veins, Eva began screaming. It was muffled at first by the tape across her mouth. Sweat formed on every part of her body and she began to convulse. Bucky was forced to hold Eva down so she didn't injure herself. In the struggle, the tape fell off and her screams filled the air like a horrible symphony. Nat and Steve stopped and turned toward the sound, unable to move.

After what felt like an eternity, Eva passed out, pain etched into her soft features. Bucky didn't dare let go, not knowing what to expect. He looked up at Loki.

"Is she okay?" he asked, fear alive inside him.

Before Loki could reply, her eyes snapped open. She took in the scene before her. She wanted the arms around her to let go.

"Evelyn?" Bucky inquired, already feeling a difference in her.

"Get me the fuck out of this bed," she demanded.

Bucky jumped off the bed and he and Loki took off the last of her restraints. An evil smile lit up Loki's face when the rope finally fell away.

"Let the fun begin," he said.

Both of them knew that she didn't have much strength after what had been done to her recently, but it would be enough to satisfy them for the moment. Bucky only half expected Eva to stand next to him, so it wasn't much of a shock for Eva to move to Loki's side, keeping the bed between the two of victims and everyone else.

A confused wave move through the room as Eva conjured up a green ball of energy in her hand. Steve had a look of awe and shock on his face, unsure of what this meant. Nat, however, looked frightened. This gave Loki and Eva a boost in confidence. The Widow had started to look imposing and unbeatable to them. That terror reminded them that she was only human at her core.

"You messed with the wrong bitch," Eva said, her face as dark as Loki's.