Chapter 44

⚠️*TW: Talk of Torture*⚠️

------

Eva went up to Loki as he paced across the terrace, saying, "Mischief, talk to me."

Loki turned to her and yelled, "What do you want from me?"

"I'm not leaving just because you throw a temper tantrum." The look on her face was immovable, making Loki nervous about what he was feeling. "Just talk to me. When we had no one, we had each other, and that won't change."

He thought back to what she meant. After one or both of them had been beaten, whipped, and/or burned, they would comfort each other. Often, they would tell stories from their childhoods. It didn't matter how many times the stories were told. All that mattered was that they were of happier times. Close to the end, the stories had become less frequent because it had started to be too painful, but they needed the reminder that there was more than that hell. To know that he wouldn't lose that connection, the ability to talk to her in confidence, was a gift he would forever cherish.

"How can I want to be with anyone after what happened to me?" Loki began, sitting down. "And with my brother?" He put his head in his hands. "I feel ashamed of myself for these thoughts, Eva."

"You're adorable," she chuckled, sitting next to him and laying her head on his shoulder.

His head snapped up. "You don't find me disgusting?"

"For being in love with your adopted brother? No! It's not like you're actually related, right?" She took his hand. "So, you want to feel and be loved by him?" They looked at each other. "I think that's amazing."

"So, it's okay?" He had to hear it, for his best friend to confirm it.

She sat up, took his other hand, and turned to face him fully. "Of course it is. You love him. I saw it. I still see it."

"Just like you and your Captain."

"Exactly."

He hugged her, trying to get himself under control. "Thank you, my friend."

"Always, Mischief."

Neither noticed someone staring and listening from the other end of the terrace, hidden by a decorative plant.