Chapter 70

"I've got you, sweetheart," Steve continued to soothe.

"Holy shit!" Bucky exclaimed.

"I can't believe it," Loki replied in shock.

Sharon asked, "What?"

She and Yelena didn't understand what was going on, why everyone wore sad smiles. Hearing about the child still shook them, but this was a milestone worth acknowledging. Eva pulled back, her own stunned expression mimicking Steve's.

"I just-" she began.

"You hugged me," Steve said, a smile on his lips as the realization of what just happened hit him, "without worrying about it."

New tears flowed down Eva's cheeks. "I... I touched you, Steve."

He cupped her cheek. She didn't so much as flinch from him.

"I'm proud of you, sweetheart," he replied.

She became giddy with joy. Despite the gravity of the situation, she had something to be happy about. She no longer had to fear Steve touching her. She felt safe with him again. Her hands couldn't keep still as she ran them over his arms and chest. Steve had too many emotions running through him to even think of anything other than the fact that he could hold her again. He picked her up and twirled her around, earning him a laugh as she hung onto him as if she would never let him go.

When he set her down, he kissed her hard. He could kiss her without asking! The day had barely begun and he had so many feelings being pushed through him that it was almost overwhelming. But feeling his girl against him, kissing her and holding her, he would never take that for granted ever again. Losing her because of the ice had been a nightmare. Her being taken shook him. But having her so close and being unable to touch her had been hell. Now... now he knew heaven was this moment, when the world became centered on her and he could simply be with her without fear or trauma getting in the way. It was still a long road, but this gave him hope that normalcy was just around the corner.

Bruce whispered to Wanda, "What if it's too soon?"

Wanda answered in the same hushed tone, "We'll watch and see, hun. For now, let them have this moment. Okay?"

"Okay, precious."

Caught up in the emotions around them, Wanda pulled Bruce in for a passionate kiss, happy to be able to do so freely. All the couples, aside from Yelena and Sharon, were caught up and sharing in the beauty of the moment.