Chapter 177

Two more weeks had passed. Bucky and Loki had been discharged. Eva, however, was still in a coma, but healing. The doctors took her off the ventilator. Bruce would come to see her often to check on her condition, always bringing Wanda with him. She felt guilty, feeling she hadn't moved fast enough to protect Eva like she had her brothers. She would touch Eva's hand, brush her hair, and change out the flower arrangements on her table when they started to wither. No matter what Bruce told her, the guilt was eating at her.

Loki came by during the morning, just as he had every day since his release. Bucky would be with their sister in the middle of the day, taking over when Loki could no longer handle the pain. And in the afternoon, Steve and Fiona would visit. Fiona was content to play in her pen while Steve sat next to Eva. At night, Steve would send Fiona home with Wanda. He couldn't leave her side overnight, wanting to be there in case anything happened. Today was no different.

Loki relieved Steve just after breakfast. Fiona was missing him and would cry until he came home. Loki sat next to Eva, hoping for a sign she was well.

"Sister, please," he begged, tears threatening to fall. "Bucky and I woke up. Now, it's your turn. Fiona needs you."

No response.

He let the dam break and cried over their combined hands. They survived hell together, fought side by side, and defeated their shared enemy. This could not be how it ended for her. He didn't realize he had fallen asleep until Bucky shook him, tear stains on his cheeks. Now, it was Bucky's turn.

He cleared his throat, his flesh thumb rubbing the back of her hand as he said, "Hey, sis. I bet you're having a really good dream, huh?" He stared at her, almost like he was willing her to open her eyes. "Fiona is eleven months now. In two weeks, she will be a year old. You have to be there."

Around dinner time, Steve came. It was the first time he hadn't brought Fiona with him since Eva had been placed in the hospital. Today, he just couldn't do it and Wanda offered to take care of her while he was with his wife.

As soon as Bucky was gone, Steve broke down. He always did when he was alone. He didn't bother to stop the tears from straining through his beard or dropping to the bed. He was losing hope fast, and he feared Eva would never wake up.

"Baby, please," he begged quietly. "I can't go into Fiona's birthday without you." He sniffled, forcing himself to look at her angelic face, something he avoided because it hurt too much. "She wants to be a hero like her mama. I'm fighting the urge to break down in front of her. I see you every time I look at her, and it hurts, Evelyn." He took her hand in his. "How am I supposed to do this without you? What do I tell Fiona? I don't know how to do this. I need you, Evelyn."

As if hearing his confession and the raw heartbreak in his voice, her hand squeezed his. He looked at it in shock. When it happened again, he jumped up.

"Oh my God!" he said, getting stares from the hospital staff. "Evelyn? Bruce! Bruce!"

A moment later, his friend rushed in. Bruce had been basically living at the hospital the last month to keep an eye on Eva. Wanda would bring him food and they would Facetime often, but no one wanted any strangers looking after their friend.

"What?" Bruce asked, out of breath. "What happened?"

"Her hand!" Steve said, going back to Eva's side. "It tightened! Is she-"

He looked to the man he respected and trusted. Bruce looked over the machines and watched as Eva's eyes fluttered open, trying to focus. Steve collapsed in the chair, bawling with relief as he helped her drink some water. Bruce smiled so that Eva wouldn't start freaking out, but he didn't have to worry.

"Well," the doctor teased, "it's about time you woke up. How are you feeling, Evelyn?"

She matched his grin as she answered, "Like I have had one of the best sleeps of my life."

"Well, your injuries have fully healed, but I still want you to take it easy for two days." He began looking over her charts.

Eva groaned, prompting Steve to say, "Trust me, she won't be doing anything crazy for-"

The sound of Bruce dropping the tablet interrupted the super soldier. "Oh my god!"

"Bruce?" Worry began to fill the couple. "What's going on?"

"Evelyn, you're pregnant."

Both husband and wife stared at their teammate in shock. What he was saying didn't want to register.