Chapter 34

Clint carried the unconscious Widow out and to the jet. He needed some time to come to terms with his best friend being so heartless. Meanwhile, Steve went up to Eva and Loki, who turned to look at him. Eva's eyes were not as bright as they once were after everything, but Steve swore they were still brighter than any jewel. He began to break down himself, happy to have his girl back but guilty for not protecting her after their argument and begging her to let him keep her safe.

"Sweetheart," he said in a heartbreaking tone, "I'm so sorry I wasn't- that I didn't-"

She kissed him hard and full of love. Partly to see if he was real, and partly to shut him up. Either way, her heart skipped a beat, joy filling her.

She gasped when she pulled back, but then chuckled and said, "God, I've missed you."

Steve couldn't stop himself and pulled her in for another kiss. It was the only way he knew to express the amount of love he had for her. It also told her how much guilt he carried and the relief he felt having her back in his arms. When his hand got to her back, she stiffened. He pulled away and saw something for a brief moment he never wanted to see again. Shame and fear. But it was gone in a second.

"Never thought I'd miss seeing that," Bucky joked, earning a chuckle from the couple.

Thor came to his brother's side and said, "Loki-"

But the raven-haired god, trying to sound exasperated, said, "Back to the cell on Asgard, then?"

Eva swung around, knowing how hard it was for Loki to hold it together, and said, "No! You can't! After everything that-"

Loki took her hand to calm her, but she felt how it shook. "It's alright, Eva. I'll be fine."

Thor cleared his throat and said, "I do not believe he needs to return to Asgard, Lady Evelyn."

Loki gave the other god a shocked look. "You are sure, brother?"

Eva clung to Loki as if she could keep him with her if Thor took back what he said, replying, "You mean it? Mischief can stay?"

Thor chuckled and said, "Yes, Milady. If he behaves."

She glared at the thunder god. "Don't threaten my best friend, Thor. Brother or not, I will end you."

Her statement shocked everyone, but Thor had to get her to see reason. "If he steps out of line, I will have no choice in the matter. He will return."

Her face became dark as she pulled Loki behind her, protectively. "And I'll be damned if I let you take him to a place that makes him feel unwanted."

Loki was not used to people sticking up for him. In the hell that was the safe house, doing so would have earned them extra beatings, if not worse. Now, with Nat gone, Eva could do for him what he deserved. Be someone on his side.

Loki hugged her once more and said, "Thank you, Eva."

"Always, Mischief," she said into his shoulder. "Always."

"I think it's time we got out of here and blow this place to hell," replied Bucky. "Stark pulled all the files from the computer and is demanding we bring Eva home."

"Come, brother," Thor invited. "You may join us."

Eva and Loki couldn't get out fast enough. Once outside, they just stood and breathed in the fresh air and soaked up the rays of the setting sun. It felt like a weight had been lifted off of them. Steve and Thor went to ready the jet, but Bucky hung back.

"It's a great feeling, right?" the dark-haired super soldier asked. "Being free?"

"It's indescribable," said Loki, tears in his eyes.

"I used to take it for granted," Eva replied, her own eyes misting over. "Now... I-"

"You don't need to tell me," Bucky responded with a knowing smile. "I understand."

With that, they boarded the jet and headed back to the compound, to home.