Chapter 10

As soon as the couple walked in, Tony said, "About time."

"What's with the attitude?" Steve asked in exasperation. "We went out. What's going on?"

As if waiting for his cue, Nick Fury walked in. "I want to know what kind of danger our visitor presents."

"Danger?" Eva asked, looking scared. "Steve, does everyone-"

Steve pulled her to him as Bucky came up to stand next to his friends. It was clear that the soldiers would have Eva's back no matter what.

"No, sweetheart," Steve answered his fiancee. "It's okay."

"You're not dangerous, Eva," Bucky replied in reassurance. "Fury's just an ass."

Fury interjects, "She appears out of nowhere. The government thinks otherwise."

Steve turned to Fury defensively and said, "Well, they're wrong. She is not a threat to anyone."

"And you can prove that?"

"There's no question. She's not a threat."

"Her file says otherwise." He pulled out a manila folder. "Evelyn Richmond is a possible threat due to her disappearance and reappearance."

Eva looked at the one-eyed man and asked, "So, the lab accident makes me dangerous and a threat?"

Fury leaned against the table. "At least someone understands." This earned him a smirk from the blond woman. "Why are you smiling like that?"

"Because it's obvious what is really happening. You feel uncomfortable because I'm an unknown."

"You're damn right, but the government-"

This time, it was Bruce who interjected, "Evelyn has already taken tests. I sent them last night."

Steve looked confused as he inquired, "When did this happen?"

Eva smiled up at the man she loved as she replied, "I woke up in the middle of the night on my first day here. I had a nightmare. It bugged me, so... yeah."

He cupped the back of her neck, pulling her closer. "Always thinking ahead."

Then, their lips crashed together and Eva couldn't help the soft moan that escaped. Lucky for her, it was quiet enough to not travel throughout the room. What she didn't know was that Bucky could hear it and he looked like he was going to be sick. Steve's hands moved so that one bunched up in her hair while the other found the small of her back.