Chapter 23

"Bucky," Nat asked, looking after Steve and Eva as they left, "where'd she learn to fight like that?"

Bucky turned to her, his face hard, as he inquired, "Why?"

"Because it's concerning," said Tony in a wary tone.

With a sigh, Bucky began to explain. "Before she and Steve got together, she lost her home. She lived on a bench for a while."

Angry, Nat got up, dusted herself off, and asked, "What do you mean, lost her home?"

"Her father kicked her out." Bucky glared at her but ignored the urge to tell her off. "So, me and Steve taught her to fight, the streets did the rest."

He didn't tell them that Steve barely got five punches in before his breathing got heavy due to his asthma, or that she went slow during that time so that he wouldn't overdo it by acting like she didn't understand what he was teaching her. But with Bucky, she went full out and picked up techniques quickly.

What brought Bucky back from his memories was Nat saying, "So, she fought to survive."

"That's enough, Romanoff," Bucky warned. "She told you to back off."

"She's intriguing."

Bucky got in the Widow's face. "How about I get her back in here?"

"Fine. I'll stop talking."

There was no doubt in Bucky's mind that, given time, Eva would best the redhead. However, something about the fight felt off to him. Perhaps it was the lack of sleep due to his boyfriend not being there and the nightmares plaguing him more than usual. Still, he trusted the woman he grew up with.

"So, she can fight and is a former lab assistant?" Tony asked, getting both ex-assassins' attention. "Interesting."

Bucky gave a lopsided smile as he said, "Once she's caught up to modern times, she'll be amazing."

Tony smiled back at Bucky. "Looks like I have a new student." As if it just hit him how much more vindictive Eva could be with modern tech, Bucky gave a wary chuckle. "What's got you so nervous?"

Bucky took a swig of his beer. "She was formidable in the forties. This day and age, I don't see anyone stopping her."