Chapter 11

Fury rolled his eye and said, "I want the results. Not watch Captain America making out."

Bruce sighed and replied, "She doesn't have powers. She's not a threat. However-"

"What now?" Steve asked, pulling away from the kiss and a dizzy Eva. "What could-"

"Steve-" she began before starting to collapse.

Steve caught her, holding her bridal style before laying her on the meeting room table. Nat was shocked. Eva looked so fragile at that moment. Nat stood next to Steve, but he was fighting tears as he tapped Eva's cheek.

"Baby?" Steve choked out. "Baby, please, open your eyes."

He already missed her forest eyes looking at him as if he were Eva's sun and moon. He couldn't live without them any more than he could Eva's silken hair, satin soft skin, and melodious voice. Hell, any and every part of Eva was beautiful, and amazing, and perfect. He couldn't go back to an existence without her in his life ever again. It was too empty.

Bruce's voice cut through Steve's devastation, saying, "Get her to the med bay. She has Quantum Poisoning." This earned him a look from the other Avengers. "Because she didn't have a suit, she was exposed to everything within the Quantum Realm."

"But you can save her, right?" Nat asked, not even hiding her own panic.

Bruce removed his glasses, a solemn look painting his features. "I will do my best, but-"

"I'll help," Hank said without hesitation. "It's my fault she was exposed to the particles in the first place."

"Let's go."

Most of the team left the room, following Steve as he carried Eva out. Fury went to put in his report. Nat and Clint stayed behind. The redhead sat in the nearest chair, fighting the tears that threatened to fall.

"It'll be okay," Clint reassured. "Banner and Pym will figure it out. If they can't, then Shuri or Tony will."

"I know," Nat said, her face painted sad but dark. "But I can't help but think if she left Steve, everything would be better." She got up, leaning against the table and looking Clint in the eyes. "Ever since she got here, he's been by her side, and now look at her." She walked a small ways off before looking back, her features like angry stone. "I'd protect her better. She'd be better off with me."

It was just her bad luck that Bucky happened to be walking past. He caught the last thing she said and stomped into the room, the partially closed door snapping open and hitting the wall with force.

"Excuse me?" he yelled.