Chapter 184

Tony walked out on stage at the conference. He was much older now, as were all of the Avengers. Many still looked good for their age, but a few had started to show signs of the toll the superhero life had on them.

After the cheers had subsided, Tony said, "Welcome, everyone! Almost forty-five years ago, the Avengers came together to protect the world. We have lost friends along the way but gained respect for life. But as we move into the future, the older Avengers must make way for the newer ones. Preferably ones with better backs and knees." The crowd chuckled. "Under the leadership of Kings Thor and Loki of Asgard," the two gods stepped forward, smiling and waving at the onlookers, "we hope this next generation will not only continue what we started but make the world even better. Taking up the mantle of the Amethyst Sage, Fiona Rogers." The crowd clapped as she stepped forward. "The new Captain America, Steve Rogers Jr." More clapping. "Taking over as the Falcon, Lily Barnes-Wilson." Another round of applause. "Our new archer, with the name of Hawkingbird, Kate Bishop." The crowd clapped again. "With a name like Ironheart, Riri Williams will step in for myself and as the Wakandan Ambassador." There were claps and some of the crowd even raised the Wakandan flag in respect to the late king. "A new hero has emerged. Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man." The clapping continued. "There is one more, but-"

Just then, a magenta suit landed and a woman stepped out, saying, "Rescue in the house!" The crowd cheered, Tony shaking his head with a smile. "What? I had to make an entrance!"

"You are definitely my daughter." He turned back to the crowd. "Taking the place of WarMachine, Morgan Stark-Rhodes." There were more claps. "And now, a word from the Director of SHIELD, Sharon Carter."

Sharon came up to the podium as the clapping subsided and said, "Thank you, Tony. SHIELD has seen the good and the bad in the world. We strive to protect the people, but sometimes, we need the extraordinary to step up." She looked at the young heroes on stage with her. "I am pleased to say that this next generation of Avengers have done just that." She looked back at the crowd. "May they be even more successful than the first."

The crowd gave a standing ovation and cheered. Flashes from cameras could be seen and the new team tried to answer as many questions as they could without giving away any classified information. At the back of the assembly hall, Steve, Eva, Sam, and Bucky stood.

"Are we sure that the kids are ready for this?" Steve asked warily. "Maybe another ten years-"

Eva smiled up at him, her finger over his lips as she said, "They are as prepared as we can make them, Stevie."

He looked up at his children, tears forming. "I don't want them hurt."

She gave him a soft kiss. "I know, baby. I don't either. But it's time we let them go and make their own mistakes."

Sam looked at Bucky, who stared at the floor, and said, "Sha, will you please look at our daughter? This is her moment!"

Bucky looked up, tears cascading down his cheeks as he replied, "She grew up so fast! How? She was just a baby yesterday!"

This softened Sam's features as he kissed his husband. "Oh, sha. It's okay."

The four parents looked back at their kids. There had been rough times, broken bones and hearts, and a couple of close calls, but they were so proud of the people their children grew to be. The future looked bright in the hands of the New Avengers.