Chapter 39

Tony went to Eva as he said in a concerned voice, "I know it will be difficult, but Nat-"

Eva began bawling, unable to breathe, scooting back as far as she could go, all while screaming, "No, no, no!"

Bucky got between her and Tony as he ordered, "Shut up, Stark!"

Loki had heard the screaming and ran back towards the lab and straight to her side, saying, "Eva! What happened?"

Thor glared at Tony as he explained, "Stark says your tormentor won't talk unless you and Lady Evelyn are there."

Tony shook his head in exasperation as Loki stared in shock at the Avengers. "You cannot be serious. We can't-"

Even if Loki had been able to finish his sentence, Buck still would have said, "We know. It's up to the two of you, and no one else."

Loki helped Eva off the ground as she continued to try and gulp in air. Loki made her look at him. Wanda had a sense of deja vu, remembering the time Pietro had done the same for her.

"Eva," Loki said, "breathe. We can end it forever. It's okay."

What he was saying to her registered as she turned and gasped out, "It will really end, Tony?"

"You have my word," Tony said.

Bucky sighed. Tony wasn't promising that the trauma would be gone, but the dark-haired super soldier was worried Eva would take it as such. However, when she looked at Bucky, he knew she understood. She was coming out of the panic.

Surprising everyone, Eva said, "We'll do it, but not today."

"You're sure, Eva?" Loki asked, his voice quivering with nerves.

She gripped his hands. "We end her, but we prepare for it first. One final fight against her, and we're done for good."

Loki gave a sinister smile. "The final blow."

"The final blow."

Somehow, Eva's sweet smile was more disturbing. Something inside Eva had changed in that hell.