Chapter 147

Bucky managed to get to the car before Sam could open the driver-side door, calling out, "Doll, don't leave!"

"Why?" Sam snapped when the super soldier kept him from opening the door. "What more is there to say, Buck?"

"Look, we could get married in a courthouse, and it would be the single best day of my life." The weight of Sam leaving over a misunderstanding hit Bucky hard and made his breathing heavy. "That's what I mean. I don't care about the-"

Sam began rubbing his fiance's flesh arm and caressing his cheek. "Bucky, calm down."

Bucky looked him in the eye, tears falling. "Sam, I love you. The day, the decorations, all that stuff? What's the point if I'm not marrying the love of my life?"

Sam helped Bucky sit before kneeling in front of him. "Can I talk now?"

Bucky sniffled and tried to wipe the tears away so he could see properly. "Y-yeah. Sorry. Uh, what did you want to say?"

Sam gave him a smile. "God, I can't stay mad at you!" He sat next to the man he loved. "Look, I wanted a day that I could point out to any future kids we have and say, 'This is the day I married my best friend.' It's the symbolism." He put his head on Bucky's shoulder. "And I get not caring about all of that. But I want to show us coming together, becoming one." He looked up into the watercolor eyes of his fiance. "To celebrate our love. It's a day we get to do that." Sam sighed. "I'll make up with you if you do one thing for me."

"Anything, doll!"

"Kiss me?" Sam's smile grew. "Because this whole mess stressed me out and I need my man, okay?"

Bucky chuckled with relief. "You never have to ask."

The two kissed passionately. A day that had started off on a sour note had turned into a tide of confusion and anger. Now, it took everything in Bucky not to rip the clothes off of Sam and have him right there.

But curse his sister for coming outside to look for the two of them. And curse the ones that started the whole mess, too! It was their fault he almost lost the only man he ever loved! The only one to accept him and his flaws! To help him rebuild after HYDRA!

But, he had to admit, their relationship felt all the stronger for this. If they could weather those three children, then the future didn't look so bad.

The couple pulled apart and stood up as Eva rounded the car. She waved her hand and fixed their clothes. Yeah, it can come close to her seeing more of her brother than she ever wanted to.