Chapter 139

Eva waited for a moment for Odin to be alone. It turned out, he spent a lot of time in the throne room, either working on documents or taking care of disputes of the citizens. When he had a break from a king's work, Eva came up behind him and used her powers to project images into Odin's head.

He saw glimpses of Bucky getting his mind wiped and the pain he felt from the machine that did it. Then, Odin was forced to endure one of Loki's lighter deaths and revivals. Lastly, she showed the intense pain she suffered from the injections forced upon her.

When it was done, Odin sat down on the throne hard. He felt sickened by the vision that had been placed in his head. Eva came around to ensure she hadn't caused any problems to Odin's health. The last thing the Avengers needed was an intergalactic war because she accidentally gave the king a heart attack.

"What was that?" Odin asked, tears in his eye.

"Just a fraction of what my brothers and I suffered at the hands of the cruel and heartless," Eva replied, stepping back.

"I knew he had suffered, but not the extent. It was not my intent to hurt him or anyone else." He looked out of the stained glass window overlooking the village. "But Thor-"

Eva had enough of the blatant favoritism and couldn't keep it in another moment. "You have favored Thor so much that Loki has never felt that you see him as a son. After this, I'm not sure you can repair your relationship with him. You hurt him deeply, Odin."

Odin thought about what she told him. He had to get her to understand that he didn't hate Loki. Did his actions this entire time come off that way? He got an idea and looked back at the amethyst-haired woman before him.

"Come with me, my dear," the king said, rising from the throne.

Eva was wary. Odin was known for playing games, yet this did not feel the way Loki's memories had. This was different, and her curiosity was peaked.

-----

After what seemed like hours, Bucky looked at Loki. Both shared a look of concern.

"She's been with him way too long, Lokes," Bucky said.

Loki got up and replied, "Let's go get our sister."

Both men were worried. To be gone this long, something had to be wrong. They didn't get a sense of dread from Eva but she could be blocking them to spare them the pain. Because they couldn't feel any fear from her, Bucky and Loki had to look everywhere they thought Odin would try hiding her. Nothing.

They were cutting through the palace gardens when they heard the sound of Odin laughing. The brothers ran towards it.

"Honestly," Odin said, holding a grape, "it was hilarious, but I couldn't laugh! What would he have learned if I had?"

Odin popped the fruit into his mouth as Eva, who was unharmed and eating strawberries, asked, "Really? And you're telling me you didn't subtly suggest turning Thor into a frog?" Odin gave her a coy look, causing Eva to laugh. "You sly old man! You did!"

Odin laughed with her. "Things were starting to get boring!"

Loki stood in a leafy archway, saying, "What in the Nine Realms-"

"What the hell?" Bucky said, anger radiating through him as he stomped towards Odin and Eva. "Evelyn Jane Richmond!"

Odin, who had started to take a drink, nearly did a spit take and said, "Oh, shit."

"Oh," Eva said with a nervous chuckle, "uh... hey, Bucky. Loki."