Chapter 59

Eva looked at everyone and asked, "How long have they been together?"

Steve tried to hide his smirk at her joy, saying, "Officially, a year. Unofficially, three."

Sure, Bucky and Sam had been together throughout the last three years, but it wasn't until Eva was kidnapped did Bucky ask him to be his "best guy". Sam had laughed and said he'd love to be the super soldier's boyfriend. Neither had dated during those three years unless you counted one exception.

"Any girl try to join them?" Eva inquired.

Of course, she had picked up on that. Steve knew his girl was smart but now, with the serum in her, she noticed things even faster than before.

"I tried," Wanda admitted, "but I felt like a third wheel most of the time."

Though she had to admit, the sex had been fun. But she found better, and the two men were understanding of the whole thing. They soon found out that they were one-partner-types and shut down any others joining them. Nat had been the only one upset by this, as any attempt to take the place of their "missing girl" were denied every time.

"I'm sorry," Eva replied. "You and Bucky would have made cute babies."

Steve had forgotten to tell Eva of Wanda's not-so-happy recent past. Still, that was something personal to Wanda and it was up to her if she wanted to share it.

Wanda, however, didn't know that and got upset, saying, "It was the talk of kids that made me leave. Don't bring it up."

"I'm sorry," Eva replied in a sad tone.

Wanda looked at the ground, playing with her sleeves. "No, I'm sorry. It's just a tough subject for me. Same with Her for you."

Tony, wanting to get back on track, said, "Anyway, let's get back to work. We need to find where she has gone and who helped her."

Everyone groaned and picked up the nearest file. An hour later, Bucky and Sam returned. It was clear the brunette was happy. There was a skip to his step and a proud smile on his face. Sam walked with a small limp, but he wore a very satisfied expression.

He walked up to Eva and said, "Hey. I'm Sam. I didn't get to introduce myself before."

Without thinking, he held out his hand. Eva shrunk back a little but still smiled.

"I'm Evelyn," she replied, "but I don't touch people at the moment."

Sam took his hand back. "Yeah. Bucky explained." It had been a quick rundown on their way back to the group, but Sam's background allowed him to guess the rest easily. "I'm sorry for what happened."

"Thanks, but hurt Bucky and I won't hesitate to hurt you."

Sam groaned. "I've heard this already from Steve. What can you do that Captain America can't?"

"Pure energy burning you inside out sounds about right."

Bucky had skipped over her powers. It would have been information overload after the sex the two had just had. He told Sam enough about how Nat's name was no longer said and why without adding powers and traveling through time on top of it.

Steve stood up and said, "Evelyn, you can't go around threatening people. Sam's a good guy and an Avenger."

Eva wanted to say that the Widow had been an Avenger too, but she had been cruel, heartless, and pure evil. But Bucky stomped up to Eva, getting in her face. No one noticed the sound of the Bifrost. Everyone was holding their breath, wondering what was going to happen next.

"I've had enough of this!" he growled. "You aren't the woman I grew up with. What is wrong with you?"

She glared back at him, responding, "You should know since we now have similar backgrounds."

The two stared each other down as Sam asked Loki, "She was an assassin for the past year?"

Loki answered, "More like she took on my ruthless nature and uses it near constantly."

"Because that makes it better."

Thor came in and said, "It makes it worse."

Loki smiled as he replied, "You're back." Then, his face fell. "What do you mean, worse?"

Thor gave Loki a quick kiss before turning to the team. "The bond cannot be broken, but you can complete it. That should put an end to this."

He gestured to Eva. In her mind, a voice was saying that he was looking down on her. She knew it wasn't true, but that didn't stop the thoughts from playing like a broken record. Loki had been in a similar place and went to her side. He tried to calm her, but she pushed him aside. Her touch was gentle, but the meaning was not lost on the green god. She would challenge Thor if he continued the way he was.