Chapter 129

The deck of the helicarrier came into view, and the end was in sight. Eva and Loki fought giving in to the joy and relief threatening to take them over. Steve had to fight his own reaction after his week of torment. The flight personnel guided Clint so he could land safely.

Eva and Bucky helped Steve out of the jet. He was gaining strength back, but his legs were still shaky. The quick field dressing and stitching prevented him from getting an infection, but he needed to be looked over in a safer environment.

"Come on, Steve," Bucky said, knowing that Steve was trying to push himself. "Let's get you to the med bay."

Steve looked at his best friend, saying, "Not until she's in a cell."

Eva smiled up at him as she replied, "They got her. I'll go with you."

She wanted to watch her go into a cell too, but Steve's health was more important to her. She could always see the aftermath on security cameras later. That would be enough for her.

Loki, however, did not feel comfortable on the helicarrier. The last time he had been on the floating fortress, he had been brainwashed into attacking the people of Germany and New York. Thor had his arm wrapped around his lover, comforting him as the dark memories replayed for the raven-haired god.

Yelena escorted Nat out with the other Avengers in front of them, the Death Widow saying, "You really think you can keep me locked up?"

Steve turned around, anger radiating through him as he growled, "The handcuffs would suggest we won, Romanoff."

The redhead laughed. "By now, you'd think you heroes would know I always have a backup plan."

Before her words could register, a blast came from one of the engines. People were scrambling, shouting that missiles were inbound. Everyone fell to the deck as the flying ship jolted hard. An unknown jet flew past as many of the Avengers fought to find their footing. On the side was a black skull with the widow symbol on its forehead. It seemed to come to a stop, flying at the same rate as the carrier.

"Death Widow," the pilot said through his speakers, "your ride to the Red Room is waiting."

He banked off as the handcuffs fell to the deck. Nat smiled at Eva. The violet-haired beauty and the green-clad god stared in horror.

"See you later, Avengers," the Death Widow taunted.

Not risking being captured again, she grabbed an emergency parachute and jumped over the edge into a free fall. Eva and Loki ran over and watched as she disappeared from sight. They ignored the mad scramble of people repairing the damaged engine midflight.

"Not again," Eva gasped.

Loki moved from the ledge, unable to believe what he had witnessed as he asked, "How could this happen?"

Bucky was shaking with rage as he said, "We can't let her get away. Not this time."

Steve looked at Tony, inquiring, "Stark, can you track that jet?"

However, the billionaire slumped on some nearby metal steps as he replied, "The blast took out the helicarrier's computers."

"You've got to be kidding me!"

Steve wanted to punch something and get his frustration out. Eva went to him and hugged him as she shook with fear. He wrapped his arms around her. Just her needing his comfort calmed him. When he looked over, Thor was consoling a worried Loki.

Bucky growled, "She can't escape this time."