Chapter 120

The main entryway to the old HYDRA base was a maze of debris. Remnants of the last battle fought within its walls. Flashes of the pain inflicted upon him played through Bucky's mind.

"God, I hate this place," the one-armed soldier said.

Steve knew there was still time for his friend to back out and replied, "Buck, you don't have to do this."

Bucky glared at his long-time friend. "That's where you're wrong, Steve. If I run now, I'll never get over it." He turned to his siblings. "Evelyn, you stay with Steve. Loki sticks to Thor. Don't split up for any reason, got it?"

His expression brokered no arguments. Eva looked at him with a sad expression. Loki wore the same worried look.

"Yes, Bubba," she answered.

"We understand," Loki added. "Don't worry about us, brother."

"Alright," Steve announced, taking over for their little team. "Let's head in and get those kids out of here."

They split up. Scott went small. The ants he was using were made specifically for cold weather. They weren't like his normal swarms, as they were machines, but the freezing air didn't bother them. Plus, they mapped out the facility to find paths that may be blocked or too dangerous to travel, sending the information to Sam, Eva, and Loki.

There were a lot of floors to the facility, but there didn't appear to have been much traffic through the halls. Still, they weren't taking any chances. Starting with the ground floor and working their way down, each group took different halls before meeting at the stairwell at the far end of the floor.

About an hour in and only a handful of floors taken care of out of who knew how many, a sense of distress enveloped Eva as she and Steve looked in the westward corridor. She turned around, her hair flying out.

"Bucky!" she gasped before running in the opposite direction.

"Evelyn!" Steve called out. "Wait!"

But she couldn't stop. She and Loki nearly collide as they meet in a central hub.

"You felt it too?" she exclaimed, though it came out in a question.

"Yes!" Loki said, both of them breathless. "We have to find him!"

They took off running again, heading down the eastern hall. As they neared the far end of the hall. They could hear Sam pleading.

"Sha!" the Falcon said. "It's okay! Look at me and breathe!"

"Bubba!" Eva called out as she and Loki moved to stand next to Bucky to get his attention. "What's wrong?"

Bucky stared at a tube-like object. It held the dark-haired super soldier's attention, fear and pain playing on his face.

"It's my old crychamber," he said in a small tone. "It's still here and running."

He felt the bone-chilling cold invade his body. He felt pain from the experiments, the training, and the torture before the world went dark around him. He could hear the sound of Zola's voice, taunting him.

Seeing Bucky's face was enough for Eva. She knew this remnant of a painful past had to be destroyed, just as the safe house had been when she and Loki had been rescued.

 She knew this remnant of a painful past had to be destroyed, just as the safe house had been when she and Loki had been rescued