Chapter 27

"Answer me!" Steve ordered, having had enough.

"No, I wasn't," Eva yelled back.

Steve ran his hand over his face. Frustration ran through him. How could she not want to tell him first?

As if reading his mind, Tony said, "Because I was going to explain to everyone, Capsicle."

Steve shook his head, hands on his hips as he said, "That doesn't make it better."

Eva replied, "It was all taken care of, you would have found out anyway. Why do I have to-"

"Because I'm the one who's supposed to protect you!" Eva gasped at this, but he continued. "I have to ability to actually protect and provide for you, but you won't let me, Evelyn! Why won't you let me be here for you?"

"Because then I'd lose you!" It was Steve's turn to be shocked, his breathing coming out heavily as he registered what Eva was telling him with tears beginning to fall. "If I let you add me to all the people you feel you need to protect, I'd lose you and-"

Steve hugged her to him. Of course, she was thinking of him, of everyone but herself. In his surprise and anger, he berated her for something that was a part of her. Her love and thoughtfulness. How could he have been blind to it? No, he knew the answer. It was because of the same reason she tried to hide it. So he wouldn't lose her.

"You're not going to lose me, sweetheart," he said.

She pulled back to look at him and asked. "Promise?

"Promise." Then sealed it with a kiss.