Chapter 76

Once John was given over to SHIELD custody, a window replacement order had been made, and glass cleaned up, the team met in the meeting room to discuss the mission. It didn't take long as Steve had done most of the work. That was when Sam turned to Loki, Eva, and Wanda.

"So, what happened?" he asked, sounding more concerned than demanding but the intent was to get facts at that moment.

Wanda smiled and said, "Nothing major, but Thor, you should be proud of Loki."

This confused Thor as he looked at his partner and inquired, "Why?"

Loki's smile from before returned as he said, "I used my powers to defeat him."

Thor's own smile, full of pride and love, lit up his face. "That's wonderful! I know you have been worried about them."

Eva smiled at Loki. When she had turned away, however, Steve noticed something on the side of her head. The sight of it made his blood boil.

"Evelyn, is that a bruise?" he asked in shock, gaining the attention of everyone in the room.

Eva chuckled nervously as she answered, "I'm fine. Nothing major."

Steve's fingers moved over it in a gentle manner. "Did he hit you?"

"Steve, it's nothing." She got up to leave the room, trying to hide the wave of dizziness hitting her hard.

Loki also stood and said, "You should have dodged it."

Eva looked at the God. "He was faster than I expected. You can't seriously think I'd let him hit me on purpose."

Worry played behind the mask of anger on Loki's face. "Maybe I do!"

"No, you don't." Eva could almost smell the lie coming off of her best friend. "You're worried."

Loki took a breath. "Something is off." He had to admit it. Her powers were stronger now and she was as good as he used to be at detecting falsehoods. "If you didn't mean to get hit, then your injury is worse than you're letting on."

Her expression softened. "Mischief, I'm perfectly-"

She didn't get to finish. Her world went black and she fainted.

Loki ran to her side as he called out, "Sister!"