Chapter 12

Nat turned on a dime and replied, "Barnes, I just-"

He took a cup from the table and threw it. It broke against the wall, shattering into thousands of pieces. He got in her face, staring her down.

"You know nothing about her," he said in a cold voice.

Nat scoffed and responded, "I know she is kind and forgiving. And all she has gone through since being back with Steve is-"

"That is only a fraction of Eva. Until you know her like I do, don't even think about her. You'll be the only one hurt."

"That's cute, Barnes." Nat chuckled. "But even I can see that she wouldn't hurt anyone. But thanks for the warning."

"Bucky's right," Steve said, coming from around the corner. "Thought you'd like to know they have her stable."

Nat collapsed into her chair, tears in her eyes as she said, "Thank God!"

"But I heard what Bucky said."

Nat's head snapped up. "I'm concerned for her."

Steve groaned in exasperation. "Do you even hear yourself?"

Seeing how quickly his friend was getting worked up, Bucky said in warning as he shook his head, "Steve."

But Nat didn't stop, saying, "She has already faced so much since coming here. I just want her safe."

Steve stalked towards her, growling, "And you don't know what she can or can't face."

"And you can't keep her safe."

"I-"

Nat's words cut deep. It was one of his greatest fears. He hadn't been able to protect Eva in the forties, or Bucky during the war. Was he placing her in danger now, by not sending her back in time? His mind started to spiral and Bucky noticed.

"You don't have to listen to this, Steve," he said, getting the younger man's attention. "Eva loves you. That's what matters."

Steve smiled and replied, "Yeah. I never understood why."

Clint, finally finding his voice in the situation, said, "Go be with Evelyn, Cap."

Bucky glared at Nat as he added, "She'll want you there when she wakes up."

"You're right," Steve said, heading for the door. "I'll settle this later."

Nat watched him leave, the wheels in her head turning. She knew now what she had to do. She had to make Eva hers and save her from Steve Rogers.