Chapter 2

Victor

I'd managed to find the local shops after a few dead ends and wrong turns. I laughed to myself at how out of my depth I was trying to decipher the local cuisine. Guess I'll just go with good old fish and chips.

"Saving the seat for anyone?" a soft voice asked. I looked up to see Avery's hazel eyes grinning at me. "Hello again, Victor," she said softly. Quickly standing, I motioned for her to sit. She gave me a grin, "Thank you."

I motioned for the server to bring another place. "I'm glad to see you again, Avery. I wanted to thank you again for helping me."

The server placed a pint of Guinness in front of her with a bowl of stew and handed me my fish and chips. "Dia duit ( pronounced dee-ah gwit), Avery. Haven't seen you in a while," he smiled at her.

"Hey Gus, just home for a quick visit, then back to uni. Have you met Victor? He's Caoimhe's grandson. Living in her place nowadays." She told him, taking a sip of her drink.

Gus raised his eyebrows, "Are ya now? Fine woman, Caoimhe was. We miss her stories. She spoke of you often, you and your playing skills."

I nodded my head, surprised to hear their familiarity with her. She'd always been a bit of an enigma to me. "Well, thanks. I didn't get to spend much time here once I got older. Living in her place is like getting to know her all over again."

"I'm sure you'll have the old place up and running again in no time," he grinned. "Lunch is on me today. Welcome to the village, Victor."

"Oh, well thanks, I appreciate that," I said, shaking his extended hand firmly.

After he'd left, I looked at Avery who had a sly grin. "What?" she asked, feigning innocence. "I can't leave and have you rambling around all alone, not knowing anyone but me."

I patted the top of her hand, and smiled, "Thank you. It's been a long time since anyone has looked out for me. I really do appreciate it."

"My pleasure," she laughed, "Now, how about you let me show you around a bit? Maybe this time you won't get lost."

I chuckled, "Avery, I can get lost on a one-way street. I'm just that talented."

She rolled her eyes, "Good grief, I'll have to tie a rope around your waist to keep you in line."

"Yes ma'am."

The sun had started to sink by the time she finished showing me around the town. She was like a breath of fresh air, so positive, and no apparent motive for her friendship beyond just that.

"So, can I offer you a ride home since I kept you out so late?" I offered as we wandered closer to the pub we had started at earlier. She seemed to hesitate. "If you're not comfortable with that, then at least let me call you a cab or something. I just worry about you walking at night alone, Avery."

Her cheeks flushed, "Thank you. I guess that would be okay." I smiled and led her to the car, opening the door for her. She grinned at the gesture and sat down.

"So which way am I headed?" I asked.

"Oh, I just live past your place. That's how I knew your Maimeó. She was friends with mine and I'd see her on summer breaks when I was little."

I let out a laugh, "Wait, are you telling me that you were the little girl whose pigtails I pulled during the spring fair?"

Her cheeks flushed, "Oh my stars, I thought you'd forgotten about that. I didn't recognize you in the moors that day either. I just made the connection today." She giggled, "You were very snobby back then. I'm kinda surprised at how much you've changed."

My shoulders tensed.

"I'm sorry, did I say something wrong," Avery asked, her voice dropping a bit as she averted her eyes.

"No, sorry. I've just been through a lot of changes recently and you're right, I was a snob back then. I tried to be like my parents and that was a serious mistake. It cost me the family I really cared about and I guess when you said that, it just hit harder than I realized." We drove in silence for a bit longer until I apologized. "Sorry for dampening the mood. I did enjoy spending time with you today. I'd love to see you again before you leave if that's alright with you."

I felt her hand on my arm and glanced over as she spoke, "I think I'd like that too. Oh, slow down, my drive is just ahead." She pointed to a very narrow road. I turned the corner and slammed on the brakes. "Oh shoot," she mumbled. The rains had swollen the small creek and it was covering the road. "Um, would it be too much to ask you to take me back to town so I can get a room for the night? There isn't a safe way in right now."

"You could stay at my place," I offered. "Goodness knows I've got the room."

"Are you sure? I don't want to put you out or anything," she sputtered.

"Avery, you've been in that house. You know there are several bedrooms, and most are still furnished. While I haven't tackled the second story yet, I have managed to clean up most of the first floor. Three bedrooms are clear along with the kitchen and parlor. Please, let me help you this time. Besides, that way you are close by when the creek goes down and can easily get home." She looked at me with uncertainty. "Please, I said again."

"Okay, but I make breakfast," she grinned finally.

"Agreed," I chuckled and backed out, heading toward my road.

Author's Notes:  What do you think of Avery?