Chapter 3

Victor

We reached my home and I took her hand as I helped her up the slippery steps. With all the money my Grandmother had, it always puzzled me why she had kept her childhood home. Once a summer, she'd return for the spring festivals and after Grandfather died, she began to spend summers here as well. Those were some of my best memories outside of the guys.

Her face lit up as I turned on the lights. "You kept her things."

"Yeah, I guess it helps me feel closer to her," I smiled. "For the longest time, she was the only person who loved me for me, not what they could get from me." I led her to the kitchen, "How about a cup of tea to warm up, then I'll show you the rooms and you can pick?"

"Tea sounds amazing right now," she shivered. I put on the kettle, then built up the fire. It was a fairly traditional house with a split fireplace between the kitchen and parlor. The additions were what made it unique. My great-grandfather had a habit of "taking in strays" as my grandmother called it. Every orphan or displaced kid he met he took in and gave a place of their own leading him to eventually add almost nine extra bedrooms to the original three. It was one of the largest homes in Drogheda.

"So is your family still here?" I asked her as we sat watching the flames.

Her expression fell, "Sadly I lost my Maimeó about six years ago, and my folks were in a car crash eight years ago. Just me now. Kinda like you, I kept the place to keep me grounded to my roots."

"Well I'm glad we're neighbors even if it is only part-time," I grinned. "Do you need me to keep an eye on the place while you're gone?"

"Oh, no, I have a friend that uses it often. He keeps up with repairs and such for me. He's a widower and divides his time between here and the States with his little girl. He should be here next month. I'll leave his number if you don't mind and give him yours as well. I'm sure he'll be grateful to have someone closer by now."

"Of course. How old is his daughter?"

"She's four. I'm her godmother. Her mama was my best friend in high school. Fiona was killed by a drunk driver a couple of years ago. Luke and his daughter, Erin, come every year so she can see Fiona's folks."

"Wow, that's rough. I'm so sorry, but I'd be happy to meet them. When do you leave for uni?" I knew it was soon, but I was hoping not too soon.

"Luke and Erin will get here a couple of weeks before I go. That way I can spend time with them too," she said, stifling a yawn.

"I'm sorry, I've kept you up when you're exhausted," I said, taking her teacup. She gave me a sleepy grin and took the hand I offered. "This room has a private bathroom if it's okay with you," I explained, opening the door.

She looked inside and then up at me, "It will be perfect, thank you."

I felt her fingers squeeze around mine as we gazed at one another. Working up my courage I asked, my voice cracking, "May...may I kiss you, Avery?"

"Yes, please," she breathed nervously. I bent down, cupping the back of her neck and softly pressed our mouths together. The kiss was hesitant on both our parts at first, but quickly deepened. Her fingers tangled in my hair at the nape of my neck and she lifted on her toes, trying to get closer. In seconds, I'd picked her up, groaning as her legs wrapped around my waist. My mouth trailed down her neck as she whimpered, "Victor."

I carried her into the room, nipping at the soft spot on her neck as a low moan escaped her lips. Her fingers dug into my biceps and shoulders as her mouth sucked on my skin. I placed her on the bed and pulled back slightly, both of us breathless. Her hooded eyes met mine. "I want nothing more than to lay you down in this bed and make love to you all night, Avery, but I won't - not yet. I don't want to rush and ruin this. I want to get to know you, really know you before we take that step."