Chapter 7

Owen

I was shocked when my assistant told me Victor had responded. I'd sent numerous emails and never gotten a response until recently, and that was from his apparent soon-to-be ex-wife, Oliva Morgan, demanding his accounts be disclosed. Of course, without Victor's consent or a court order, I had no intention of doing anything of the sort.

I reread his response as the phone rang.

Owen,

I'm so thankful for your response. I'm even more thankful for your understanding. I've lived for so many years hating myself for leaving, but feeling like I had no choice. I couldn't let my parents hurt any of you like that. I made my choice and lived with it. As I'm sure you know already from my reply to your intern, my marriage has ended. Once my parents died and I secured all 'evidence' they had held, I filed. Of course, I gave her everything just to get out.

I'm currently living in my grandmother's old family home in Drogheda, Ireland. What I wouldn't give for some of Silas and North's home repair know-how...

I too would like to get together in the near future. My schedule is wide open, so let me know when you might be available.

Respectfully,

Victor

"Owen? Is everything alright?" Sean's voice came on the line. "You do realize the time here, don't you?"

I looked at the clock and grimaced, "Oh damn, sorry about that, Sean. I was just so anxious to tell you the news that I completely forgot the time difference. I can call tomorrow if you wish."

He chuckled, "Nah, I'm already awake now and we both know my curiosity wouldn't hold out that long, so spill it."

I grinned at his comment. For a physician, I swear Sean was one of the most impatient people I knew. "I heard from Victor today." I waited for his response and it didn't take long.

"Are you fucking serious," he yelled, "What...how, is he okay? Where is he?"

I laughed, "Yes and yes. He's just recently divorced. His parents passed a couple of years back and just as we suspected, they did in fact blackmail him. He's living at his grandmother's old estate in Ireland. Apparently, he gave the ex everything just to get away. He said he also took care of any proof his parents may have had."

"You realize I'm coming, right?" Sean said quickly.

"I had no doubt. I want to talk to him soon as well. I want to find out if what we learned was true and how he's doing now for myself," I said.

"Have you talked to any of the others?"

I sighed, "Not in years. The last time I saw all of them was at the funeral for Fiona. Even that was a brief visit. Chloe and I were still together and she was being absolutely insufferable. Hell, that visit was the final straw for our engagement. The horrible way she treated Luke and his daughter showed her true colors."

"I still feel bad I couldn't make it back in time," Sean complained.

"They understood. You were in the middle of South America, Sean. By the time you even found out, it was already impossible for you to reach the States in time. North said your call meant a lot to Luke," I tried to comfort him. So much has changed in the last ten years. Sean had made an amazing life for himself and I didn't want him to find a reason to doubt it. Changing the subject, I asked, "So when do you want to try and make it to London? We can make the trip to Ireland together. I'm not sure if he'll want us to meet in Dublin or his small town of Drogheda."