Chapter 59

Sean

I kept staring at him. It had been years since I'd seen him, yet here he was pulling my ass out of a warzone...literally. "How the hell did you even find me?" I asked.

"Little bird messaged, said you were lost. She sent your last known coordinates and we formed a sweep pattern." He paused for a moment, "Why did you switch directions? I thought for sure you were lost on the path you took in the beginning. Russians have been doing air raids to the south trying to cut off evacs," Raven said.

I shook my head, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." He gave me a confused look. "When you say little bird, are you meaning Sang?" He nodded. "How did she even know about this? I haven't seen her in years."

"No clue. Corey got an email with the details about two weeks ago. I've been tracking you ever since."

"Are you still with the Academy?" I asked.

He scoffed, "No. Bunch of lying bastards." He didn't explain further and I didn't push the matter.

"I need to make a phone call," I told him. "I have to let them know I'm okay. Please, Raven, Avery's been through too much already. I have to let her know I'm alive."

He grinned, "New bird, huh?"

I gave him a full-blown smile, "No, fiance. She's in Ireland with the others, and probably going out of her mind with worry."

"We'll stop soon, and set up the sat phone. We just need to clear the checkpoints. I can't risk us getting caught now, Doc." Raven gave me an honest smile. "I'm happy for you."

"Thanks, man. I owe you my life. If I can do anything in return, just ask," I told him, holding out my hand.

He took it, shaking firmly. "An invitation to the wedding. I'd love a chance to rattle West's cage again."

I let out a loud laugh, "I think that can be arranged."

Avery

"Avery!" North boomed, "You have a phone call."

I came around the corner to find all of them standing there. "Well that's not suspicious at all," I grumbled. "The phone didn't even ring, North, so what are you all up to?"

"Not us, shortcake," he grinned and moved to the side, "Him." My eyes landed on the computer screen and I let out a sob as I sank into the chair.

"Hello, Itoshii," Sean's voice cracked as he began to cry. "Gods, I've missed you."

I wanted to climb through the screen and kiss him. "Wh...where are you? Are you hurt, are you safe?" I rambled.

"Slow down, Itoshii. Deep breaths before you pass out," he chuckled. "I'm not really sure where I am, but I'm safe and nothing more than scrapes and bruises. An old friend found me, thankfully. However, I may need to have a serious discussion about Fae folk with you."

I tilted my head in confusion.

"Let's just say I saw and heard some things I can't explain," he grinned.

"Was it Sang that found you?" I asked. He looked surprised and it was my turn to smile. "She sent a rather cryptic email about knowing you were lost and sending an old friend to find you. She also says she was never mad at you guys and I'm supposed to give you hugs."

"Oh, Itoshii, you are getting way more than hugs when I get home," he purred, his eyes darkening. I felt my stomach tighten at the thought, then heard a deep laugh in the background behind him.

"Is that Raven?" Axel asked, leaning down next to me.

Sean's eyes lit up, "Hey Ax, yeah that's him alright. Apparently, Sang reached out to Corey as well in the same cryptic manner and Raven came searching."

A stubble-covered face appeared on the screen. It was difficult to make out his features behind all the gear, but he looked huge. "Axel!" the man boomed with a huge grin. "What are you doing there?"

Axel laughed as he sat next to me, "We helped rescue this little waif a while back and came back when Sean went missing." I elbowed him. "Oof, what was that for?"

"I am not a little waif. If I remember correctly, I did kick your ass," I hummed.

He rolled his eyes, "No, you caught me off guard."

"Oh is that what you call lying on the ground?" I smirked. The man on the screen let out a roaring laugh.

"I like her," he turned and said to Sean. "She's got fire." My cheeks flushed.

"Oy, stop embarrassing our girl," Gabriel hollered.

"Wait, she's with all of you, not just Doc?" the man paused. His grin doubled as he muttered, "Интересный."

I tilted my head. "Why is that interesting? Didn't you know about Sang?"

His eyes widened, "You speak Russian?"

I just shrugged and Axel laughed, "She has this weird trick where she just understands fragments of languages randomly. Long story."

The man got an almost predatory look on his face and spoke again. "Вы поймете, говорю ли я, что я хочу знать, где тот румянец заканчивается, или еще лучше я хочу заставить Вас покраснеть больше?" (loose translation - Will you understand if I'm saying that I want to know where that blush ends, or better yet, I want to make you blush more?)

I felt my cheeks heat and sputtered, "Сэр, если бы Вы только не спасали Шона, я вероятно хлопнул бы Вас, но так как Вы сделали, я позволю тому понижению на сей раз." (the wording doesn't exactly translate, but the overall meaning is Sir, if you didn't just save Sean, I'd probably slap you, but since you did, I'll let that slide this time.)

He threw his head back and roared with laughter as Sean pushed him aside. "I don't think I want to know what all that was, Itoshii," he grinned. "I'll be home soon. I love you, Avery."

"I love you, too, Sean, and just so you know, you're grounded," I smirked.

Sean's eyes sparkled, "I guess you'll just have to spend every moment with me to ensure my grounding."

"Obviously," I giggled. I pushed Axel out of the chair and tugged Owen down. "Now, please say what you need, because I for one can't deal with this back and forth anymore. We can give you privacy." I started to stand, but Owen grabbed me, placing me firmly on his lap.

"No need," he said, kissing my cheek, then turned to the screen, "Sean, Avery won't be the only one ensuring your grounding. Neither of you will be able to walk for a week by the time I'm done with both of you," he smirked. "I love you, now get your ass home."

Sean's eyes glistened with tears, "I love you, Owen, and I accept my punishment, just don't expect it to be one-sided."

Owen laughed, "Naturally." With a few more comments from everyone, the call ended and they all drifted out of the room leaving just the two of us. "How long have you known?" he asked me.

"Since the solstice. Your eyes follow him around the room, and he's just as bad, but more subtle," I grinned. "Life's too short to stay quiet, Owen. Embrace the love you have for each other. I promise you won't regret it."

He pushed my hair back, sighing, "You amaze me more and more every day. And you're right, life is too short which is why we aren't waiting until June. I don't care if it's just a simple ceremony at the court, when Sean gets home, we are marrying you. I don't want another moment to pass without being your husband."

I pressed my lips to his and smiled when I pulled back, "and Sean's husband."

Owen smiled softly, "Yes, and Sean's husband."

Author's Notes:  :)    Please vote, comment, share, and follow!