Chapter 10

Avery

I smiled at the pictures Luke had sent of Erin serving waffles to his and Victor's friends. I loved seeing their happy expressions. However, my days haven't been as happy. I'd gone to orientation and still had no clue who my advisor or professor was. Apparently, they'd had a sudden departure and the replacement was still onboarding. I seriously hope this won't impact my required hours. I needed to finish this year. My funds were quickly dwindling and I needed to find a permanent job. It was all I could do to keep this flat up during the terms.

A body collided with my shoulder and my coffee spilled as my books fell to the floor. "Feck," I muttered.

"Oh, wow, I'm so sorry. Let me help," a male voice said. All I saw was dark hair as he bent down and gathered my belongings while I tried to dab the coffee off my sweater with a napkin. "I can buy you another," he offered. I was stunned by his green eyes and didn't answer until he gave me an awkward grin.

"Oh, no, that's okay. I'm on my way to class and too much caffeine never helped anyone sit through a lecture quietly." I reached out for my books. "Thank you."

He grinned again, "Of course, I mean I practically tackled you. Are you sure I can't replace the coffee, or maybe even buy you one after your lecture?"

"Um, uh, thanks but I'm seeing someone," I sputtered, realizing he was asking me out to coffee. "Sorry, I really do have to hurry - first day of lecture and all." I grabbed my books and dashed off feeling like a damn teenager.

I slid into a seat on the front row as the class had already filled up and dug out my notebook and pens. I was looking through the online syllabus I'd printed that morning when a familiar voice spoke. "My apologies for the late start this semester friends. As you know I'm replacing Dr. Abernathy. My name is Dr. Lee and this is a structured course for those seeking research-based doctoral degrees. Our primary focus will be on the impacts of poverty on educational structures across the world. If that isn't your research focus, you might want to step out now."

I stared in disbelief at the man in front of me as several students left the room quietly.

"Well, now that we've cleared that up, let's get started," he chuckled. "I realize you were given a syllabus, but I took the liberty of creating a new one. We will have structured checkpoints in your data collection process and you may not move forward without my direct permission. This is a three-term course to allow for a full dissertation. You are expected to apply for publication and schedule a presentation date to defend your findings in a school forum that will be attended by fellow students, professors, and other interested parties. The presentation is part of your final evaluation and must be completed before graduation. Are there any questions so far?" He paused and scanned the room. His eyes briefly met mine and he smiled, then called on a young man in the back.

"How many hours do you anticipate we should set aside for this process," the student asked.

Dr. Lee laughed, "I guess that depends on how badly you want your doctorate. I can't presume to know your abilities or level of dedication, sir. The effort you put forth will determine your final letters. I will host several weekend study sessions throughout the year as well to help keep everyone on pace." He paused for a moment and put down the syllabus he'd just passed out. Leaning on the podium, he gave us all a stern look. "Currently sitting in this room we have forty-three candidates ranging from twenty-three to fifty-six years in age. Statistically speaking only half of you will make it to the end of the first trimester. Another fourth of you will drop by the end of the second trimester. This is a daunting project and requires dedication and discipline to accomplish, ladies and gentlemen. Do not get behind or you may find yourself in a hole you cannot dig out of."

I felt like my stomach was going to turn inside out. How the hell was I supposed to do this along with three other graduate courses and work? Not to mention getting to spend any time with Luke or Victor?

I scribbled notes as Dr. Lee began to outline our tasks for the first month. I swear I already had carpal tunnel...

"Alright folks, that will round it out for today. Remember to send me a copy of your thesis outline by next week. No solid research, just a vague outline of what you hope to accomplish. Can I get Avery Dorman and William Prichit to stay after class, please? Everyone else, you're dismissed." I approached the podium along with an older student. "Sorry to keep you both, but I haven't had a chance to speak with you about your TA assignments as of yet. I'd like to have a copy of your schedule so I can divide my undergrad classes between you. I don't want to overload either of you."

We handed him our schedules and he hummed softly as he looked at them. I noticed his fingers tapping gently on the page and realized he was counting. "Well, William, it looks like you will take the brunt of my schedule on Mondays and Wednesdays. I have three sections of Calculus that you will more than be able to handle. I'll email you the details, thank you." William shook his hand and gave me a sympathetic smile, then left quietly. "Well Ms. Dorman, may I first apologize for my forwardness earlier? I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. That being said, if you prefer, I can assign you to a different professor for your TA course."

"Oh, no, that's okay, Dr. Lee. I guess it just took me off guard," I replied.

He hummed a bit, then looked back at my schedule. "Ethics or philosophy?"

"I'm sorry?"

He grinned, "Would you prefer to TA in an ethics or philosophy course, Ms. Dorman?"

"Oh, well...may I ask what days and times, sir?" I asked.

I noticed him shift slightly and sigh, "I have two sections of ethics on Tuesdays, a morning then afternoon session, and one philosophy section on Wednesday mornings."

"When do you sleep," I giggled. He laughed in response. "I can do all three if you prefer, sir. I only have three courses this trimester - two on Mondays, and one on Thursday evenings."

"And when will you research for this course if you take on all three, Ms. Dorman?" he questioned. "I suggest you take only one of the topics. You will be responsible for preparing the materials and submitting them to me for approval. It is far more daunting than you think."

"Then I'd prefer the ethics courses, sir."

He handed me a binder, "This is the syllabus and outline of topics. I fully admit it isn't my own work since I'm coming in late. You have my blessing to make alterations as you see fit, just show me first. I'd hate to get fired in my first term," he laughed. Damn, his eyes were beautiful. Shite Avery, you have not one but two boyfriends...get your damn hormones in check, woman!

"Thank you, sir. I'll look over this and send you the first lesson for approval along with my thesis outline," I told him.

"Don't push yourself too hard, Ms. Dorman. If you need to cut back on the TA hours, let me know. We can always extend it to the second trimester."

I held out my hand, "Thank you, Dr. Lee." He shook my hand and I noticed he made a small circle on the skin between my thumb and forefinger. His hands felt smooth and warm.

"I look forward to seeing your work," he said and I headed out the door.

Author's Notes:  And here's Kota...