Chapter 99

Avery

I yawned and stretched, running my hand over my mouth for drool. I can't believe how much I'm sleeping - stupid shadow world. "I'd kill for orange juice and a sweet roll right now," I grumbled.

"Sorry, Chaton, I'm fresh out," Gabriel chuckled, making me look up into his blue eyes.

I rubbed my hand over my neck and winced, "What the hell?"

Gabriel lowered his eyes, "Uh, sorry about that...I, well, I don't know what came over me or how I even did it."

My eyes widened, "You did this?" I tried to look down and see the spot, but couldn't. "Uh, can you describe what it looks like?"

"It's a bite mark, oh fuck, wait, what the fucking hell!" His eyes were wide and his hand trembled. "Th...there's a....oh shit, Avery what have I done..."

I grabbed his hand and kissed it, "I need you to calm down, Gabriel. Just take a breath and tell me what you see."

He nodded, his eyes still panicked as he spoke, "Where I bit you has a slight bruise and fang marks, but right under it...well it looks like a drawing, almost a tattoo of..."

"A black dog," I said, finishing his sentence.

His eyes snapped to mine, "How did you know?"

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and cupped his face, "I need you to stay calm, okay?" He nodded hesitantly. "You've marked me, just like Luke did and like I did to you. It will be sore for a few days, but you haven't harmed me, I promise, mo chéad ghrá."

"But how can I mark you? Hell, I'm not even alive anymore, Avery!" he shouted.

I did the only thing I could think of to calm him down and slammed my lips to his. In seconds, his hands tangled into my hair as the other one pulled me tightly against him. When my hips moved involuntarily, he let out a low growl, and then froze. "H...how did I do that?"

"Apparently the universe isn't done with you yet, my husband. You've been given a new purpose," I whispered into his ear.

His eyes were pleading as he asked, "What am I?"

"If I'm right, you're becoming what is known as a black dog. They can shift into many forms, but the most well-known is a large black dog the size of a small horse. They are protectors as well as punishers." I pushed his hair away from his eyes and smiled softly, "It makes sense. A black dog is a spirit animal - a true shadow of sorts, neither dead nor alive."

"Does that mean I'm stuck here forever?"

"Not according to Kota," Owen's voice came from behind us. "If Kota's right, once you accept your form, you will come back to us in the Unseelie Courts."

I jumped up and launched myself into his arms as Gabriel let out a whine at my absence. "Owen!" I screamed, "But how?"

"Well it turns out Kota is some sort of ancient elf with super magic and I'm part shade, so I'm here to take you home, my lovely wife," he grinned then kissed me.

When our kiss broke, I pulled back, "But what about Gabriel? I can't leave him here?" I turned to look at him, but he just smiled.

"Yes you can, Chaton. I told you already, you don't get to sacrifice yourself for me. Besides, Kota's always right, so that means I'll be back soon." He stroked my cheek as he spoke and I knew my tears were falling freely. "There is nothing in any life that can keep me from you, Avery. Besides, I can't have Luke and Victor falling apart without my fabulous ass either."

I gave a choked laugh and pulled out of Owen's arms to embrace him again. "Don't make me wait too long, or I'll be mad at you," I scolded him.

"Not long, Chaton," he whispered, then kissed me again, his finger grazing over the mark and design. My body shivered in response and he chuckled softly. "I'm going to bend you over and fuck you until you beg for mercy, little girl. Then I'm going to tie you up and make you watch as I fuck Luke and Victor into the mattress." I whimpered as he let out a soft growl, "I can smell how aroused you are, love - fuck... You'd better go before I rip those clothes off of you and give Owen a show."

His teeth grazed over the mark as I pulled away and met his eyes. They were darker than normal, almost black, the blue had deepened so much. "I love you," I said as Owen wrapped his arms around me. Everything seemed to become hazy.

"I love you too," Gabriel said as he, or rather we began to disappear. The last sound I heard was a roar that shifted to a howl of sorts.

Owen

Holding her in my arms felt like heaven. The moment we touched, the shadows stopped hissing in my mind. It broke my heart to pull her away from Gabe. He gave her a brave front, but I could see the agony in his eyes. Her head fell against my chest as we faded and I focused on the Unseelie Court and Sean. He was my heart and home aside from Avery. I knew that I would be able to find my way back to him.

The great hall came into view as the shadows faded and Avery let out a squeal at the sight of all of them. However, our celebration was cut short as Silas and Brandon both yelled out, "Incoming!"

The wall shook as what was once Chloe appeared with shadows soaring around her. "You insufferable bitch!" she roared at Avery and lunged, only to be stopped by Luke's full dragon form as he brought his maw down on her bony arm.

"Stay with me, love," I whispered to her as I shimmered into the darkness with her.  

Author's Notes:  Ahh the battle at last.  Will Gabriel make it back or be lost?