Chapter 77

Axel

I looked at her and for the first time, I truly saw her. She was beautiful in her fury, a dark halo of power swirling around her as she approached the Unseelie Queen. "You dare play games with the soul of my husband? Release him or the Unseelie Court will be seeking a new leader before the moon sets," Avery said, her voice making the very walls tremble. Her bare feet crunched the shattered glass that littered the floor, but not a drop of blood spilled.

Mab scoffed, "You lack the strength, young banshee." She closed her fist and began to pull as Gabe's skin took on an ashen appearance.

But before the woman could rip out his heart, Avery slammed her fist into Mab's chest and gave a chilling laugh, "You don't know me or what I am capable of. Harm my family and I will burn the world in a heartbeat. Now, I'll ask one last time, release him. He belongs to me - they all do."

The old Queen relaxed her grip and pulled her hand from Gabe's chest. He sagged on the couch, still not breathing. Avery looked at Raven who stepped forward and restrained the woman as Avery withdrew her hand. She stepped to Gabe and leaned over him, letting her tears flow onto the wound. "Come back to me, mo chéad ghrá," she whispered through her sobs. She stroked his face, kissing him softly and he began to cough, the color flooding back to his skin.

"Chaton?" he gaped, "Please tell me I'm not dead or dreaming."

She gave a small smile and laughed, "No, Gabriel, you are neither dreaming nor dead, but you came far too close for my liking." He gripped her tightly, kissing her like crazy when the old queen began to laugh.

"I see you've been practicing banshee," she cackled trying to yank away from Raven. "Get your hands off me, elf."

Avery nodded and Raven gruffed, "Gladly," as he pushed her away.

"Wait, did she just call you an elf?" North gaped. "I thought elves were tiny and had pointy ears."

Raven laughed, "Don't believe everything you read. Tuatha Dé Danann are eleven Fae - a warrior race that protects the Morrigan. Most of us are in that line."

North gaped, "How the fuck do you suddenly know all of this?"

"Her," the Unseelie Queen pointed. "She's taken up her full mantle now. All of you will see your true heritage soon. Which means the gate is even closer now. He holds the key," she pointed at Gabe. "He had to shadow walk to recognize it."

"Are you telling me I died?" Gabe gulped, his grip tightening on Avery.

"Yep," she snickered. "But don't worry, you're not dead anymore."

He looked into her now hazel eyes and groaned, "I think I'm going to be sick. Hey, ouch." His eyes widened, "They...they kicked me."

Avery laughed, "Yes they did. They've been very active lately."

Nate stumbled forward, tears running down his face, "Cariño." He fell before her, "I'm so sorry, Avery. Please don't leave me, don't leave us. I can't lose you."

She reached out and stroked his face, "Nathan, you never lost me. I will always love you even when you're being an idiot." He smiled and then she placed his hand on her stomach. "Your son misses you, just like I do."

Nate's face lit up as the baby kicked him, "He kicked!"

"Well as touching as this is, you have work to do," the old queen said.

"Hold up. First, you come in offering help, then you kill Gabe, and now you're telling us to get to work. What the hell lady?" Marc snapped. "Are you here to help or not?"

She grinned wickedly, "I already did. The next steps are up to you." With a flash, she morphed into a cat-like creature and darted through the shattered windows.

"I'll grab some brooms," North huffed, "Don't walk on the glass. Silas and I will fix the windows as soon as possible." He took a step toward the windows, rattling off a list of supplies then closed his eyes, pinching his nose in frustration. "Shortcake, did you learn any magic tricks to fix these?"

We all gaped. "Um, no, but you did," she answered him.

He opened his eyes, his jaw dropped, "What the fuck?" The entire front section of windows was just like new as if nothing had happened, and not a speck of glass covered the floor. She walked to him and clasped his hand as he continued to stare in amazement. "How did that happen?"

She leaned against his shoulder and smiled, "Magic, m'aingeal caomhnóra. This is your gift - the power of manifestation." He looked at her in confusion. "Think of something just like you did with the windows being fixed. Make it real."

He cupped her face and kissed her. When he pulled back we were all groaning and some were whistling. She looked down and saw the babydoll nightie he had conjured and squeaked, slapping his arm. "That's not what I meant."

"But it looks good on you, my wife," he purred. "Now, we are going to show you how much we have all missed you. What's your safeword?"

Her chest rose rapidly as she answered him, "Red, sir."

"Good girl," he grinned.

Author's Notes:  smut ahead - you're welcome