Chapter 1

Victor

I hadn't set foot inside this house in decades. Dust covered the dust cloths and the few exposed surfaces and there was a musty odor in the air. Gabe would be screaming if he saw it now.

Gabe.

I'd walked away from so much when my parents forced me to marry. I'd walked away from the only people I'd ever loved, the only family I'd truly known.

Of course, they all thought I hated them - had abandoned them. They had no idea why I had suddenly agreed to follow my parent's wishes, to once again be their cash cow and reject the men who had risked so much for me.

But all that was over now.

My parents were dead, and my wife - ha, wife - yeah, that's a relative term - she was off living in a luxurious mansion with the flavor of the month all at my expense. I gave it all away. I'd signed over the rights to my music, my mansions, the bank accounts, everything just to get the hell out. All I had left now was my grandmother's old house on a worn-out patch of land just outside of Drogheda, Ireland, and a small trust she had established in my youth. That was the only thing She couldn't take. Grandmother had made it an airtight trust, probably fearing her son would try and take the property for himself.

The house was fairly secluded with only one neighbor a couple miles away in a small wooded patch. I could see open green spaces of land and a few trees dotted the fields. Neat stone fences gave the illusion of a giant quilt lying over the hillsides. I was finally free...and utterly alone.

****

I'd been wandering around the field for about two hours and I was completely lost. Of course, I could sort of see the house, but every time I tried to get there, a wall, creek, or something seemed to be in the way. "Stupid fucking weather," I grumbled as my foot seemed to find yet another mud puddle. I swear this is worse than London.

"If you think this is bad, just wait till spring," a soft voice said to my left. I jumped and swore, landing soundly on my overdressed ass in said puddle. A giggle drew my attention to the most beautiful eyes I'd ever seen. They were hazel with little greenish-gold flecks that seemed to dance as she laughed. "I'm, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," she said, extending her hand to help me up.

I took her hand but didn't pull. She was such a tiny waif of a woman, I feared I'd pull her into the puddle with me. "Thank you," I said, "No real harm done. As soon as I find the path home, I'll get cleaned up." I blushed and asked, "Um, you don't happen to know how to reach the manor house from here do you?"

She blinked for a moment, then asked, "Oh, you mean the old Morgan place? Sure, just over that ridge, see?" She pointed and I could see the house, but the path still seemed to elude me. I guess she saw my frustrated look and offered, "Would you like me to show you the way?"

"Yes, if you don't mind. I've managed to become thoroughly lost on my first day here," I confessed. She laughed and gave a slight wave with her hand for me to walk with her. "Oh, sorry, I didn't even introduce myself. I'm Victor, um, Victor Morgan."

A small gasp escaped her lips, "Are you kin to the lady of the manor, Ms. Caoimhe (pronounced kee-va)?" she asked.

I met her eyes, and blinked, seeing the color more brown than green now. "Um, yes, she was my grandmother. I haven't been here since I was a young child. She, um, well she left the place to me when she passed."

A mix of emotions flashed across the young woman's face as she nodded, "Aye, she was quite the lady, your Maimeó (pronounced Mam-o). She had fire in her veins." I gave a deep laugh and the woman looked at me strangely. "Ahh, I see her fire in your eyes, Victor Morgan." As if her own words surprised her, she blushed and stuck out her hand, "A pleasure to meet you, Victor. I'm Avery." I shook her tiny hand and suddenly didn't want to let it go. She gave a small laugh, "Well, here you go, home safe and sound."

I was surprised to look up and realize she'd led me right to my front door and I hadn't even realized it. I took a step toward the door, "Thanks for your help. Goodness knows I might have spent ages out there wandering around if you hadn't found me." She giggled, and I pressed my luck, "Would you want to come in and get warm? I can offer you a ride home." I turned around to get her answer and was met with only the chilling breeze that blew across the now-empty drive. "Avery?" I called out, but no answer came, and I couldn't see any sign of her, which was rather disturbing considering there were very few trees to block my view.

I scratched the back of my neck at the odd situation then mentally kicked myself. I hadn't even gotten a last name or where she lived. Smooth move, Vic.  

Author's Notes:  Here we go again, my lovelies.  Let me know what you think.