Chapter 53

Luke

I'm not sure who was more excited about returning to Ireland, me or Erin. While I'd enjoyed the time with Uncle, it didn't take long for me to realize this wasn't my home anymore. I think North and Silas had come to the same conclusion. Erin had just fallen asleep when Silas spoke up, "We sold the business to my little brother."

My jaw dropped, "Wow, I, uh, didn't see that coming."

"You're not the only one who realized it wasn't home without her, brother," North said. "I don't know where we will all end up, but I can't handle being away from her for that long again, especially after what happened. If something had happened to her..." His voice choked as he squeezed his eyes shut.

I took his hand, "I know. I feel the same damn way. I don't think it's good for Erin to be away from her either. She'll always know that Fi was her biological mom, but she's become so attached to Avery...I think we need to buy that ring and make her an honest woman."

Silas chuckled, "Sounds like a perfect plan to me."

Kota

I watched her review my cut list, shaking my head. Why on earth would she even think her name would be there? I mean, I understood the first time, but now...her dissertation was flawless and had been overwhelmingly approved by the panel for submission. I hadn't told her yet, but I'd already sent hers and the others who cleared the last checkpoint for publication.

I moved closer to the door coming to stand next to Vic. "She's checking the list, isn't she?"

"Yep."

"That's our girl," he chuckled. "Gabe will be back in a few minutes. He went to the airport to pick up the others so we could surprise her. She wasn't expecting Luke and the others until tomorrow."

"She's going to be thrilled," I grinned. "You better go rescue her. I'm going to hide from the students I cut." I watched as he waded through the crowd to wrap her in his arms. Her face lit up as they talked and kissed. I smiled to myself, watching them. It was hard to believe that less than four months ago I blamed him for so much and I didn't even know her. Now look at us. I had my family again and the most amazing woman in the world at the center of it.

"Quite fetching, isn't she," an elderly voice said next to me. I turned to see an older man in a worn overcoat with one of those old-fashioned fabric hats. His face was careworn with wrinkles, but his eyes were bright green.

"Good morning," I said to him. "Can I help you?"

"Met my wife in these same halls," he said with a wistful look, then nodded toward Avery. "She's one of a kind, that one."

I had the strangest feeling of familiarity as he spoke. "Do I know you?" I asked.

He gave a soft chuckle, "Not yet..just taking a trip down memory lane, Kota." At that moment, Avery let out a peal of laughter and I glanced at her.

"Wait, how do you know my name?" I asked the man and turned back to him, but he was nowhere in sight. "What the hell?"

"Are you okay, man? You look like you just saw a ghost?" Vic asked as they came closer.

I rubbed the back of my neck in confusion, still searching the area for the old man. He couldn't have gone that far, he looked like he was well into his eighties.

"Kota?" her soft touch brought me out of my thoughts.

When I looked into her eyes, I felt something connect. Met my wife in these same halls - the old man's words echoed in my mind and I smiled. "I'm okay, beautiful girl. Let's find Gabe and go home."  

Author's Notes:  Confused yet?