II) The Man

"I think I'm losing grip on sanity

"I think I'm losing grip on sanity."

***

"Wake up Percy."

The world around me slowly began to fade as I woke up.

I yawned, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. "What time is it?"

"9:12." Mom answered, "It's not that early, why're you still tired?"

"I don't know." I shrugged, "The bed always feels the most comfortable in the morning."

Mom chuckled, pulling me up. I walked into the bathroom, quickly showered then I changed out of my shark pyjamas and walked out.

"What're we doing today?" I asked.

"We're gonna go to the museum." She said and I grunted. "Come on, Percy, it's about ancient Greek and all the Greek gods and hero's, it'll be fun."

I knew how much mom loved those old Greek stories so as much as I wanted to stay in bed for a couple more hours, I put a smile of my face and we walked to the museum.

"What's your favourite hero?" I asked her.

"Perceus." She said. "You're actually named after him."

"Wow mom, my name came from an old story?" I asked with mock amazement.

She nudged my side, "Perceus is really cool, he was actually the first hero to escape the hero's fate."

"What does that mean?"

"Well.. all hero's have.. difficult lives. Most don't survive till the end. I want you to be different, to be like Perceus." She smiled at me.

"You're comparing me to a great hero?" I asked, "I think you expect too much from me."

"Percy, I know you'll be a great hero someday. And I never want you to give up, even if how dire the situation may look."

"I'm flattered but I don't think I can ever be as good as those hero's from those old stories."

"I know you'll be better." She smiled at me.

"Thanks mom."

She was always a confidence booster, my ego would've been completely deflated with all those bullies if she didn't say things like this every once in a while. But at the same time, I felt like I was letting her down. She thinks I would be something useful in the future. She thinks I could be somebody. But I can't and I'm afraid. Afraid of failing her, afraid of not being able to fulfil her wish. When will she find out that I could never be what she believes I can? When will she realise that I'm just a problematic kid? When will she find out that I'm a disappointment?

"Percy, you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, mom, I'm okay." I said mustering up a smile.

When will she find out?