LVII) "I Don't Know What I'm Supposed To Do."

We entered the workshop and the girls were immediately amazed for their own reasons.

I saw the metal wings but they looked different, more advanced compared to the ones I saw in my dream.

I looked out the window, not recognising our surroundings, "I'm guessing we're not in New York anymore." I muttered, gripping riptide.

"Garden of the gods."

My head snapped towards the voice almost giving me whiplash, "You!" Annabeth said. "What did you do to Daedalus?"

"Trust me. You don't want to meet him." He seemed almost empathetic but I scoffed at his remark.

"We travelled a long way to get here so you don't have the right to tell me that!" Annabeth said, "Where is he?!"

"You think I work for Kronos, an agent of Luke?"

"Well duh." Annabeth said, "Why else would you have left?"

"Geryon mentioned you. Luke also did." I told him, "Why would they know you?"

"Everyone knows me. I've been almost everywhere." He said.

"Okay, I don't like your cryptic messages so just tell us. Where is Daedalus?"

He smiled faintly, "I don't think you understand, old friend. I am Daedalus."

"But you don't look like him. I saw him in a dream and.."

"Yes." He nodded grimly, "I stole it. I'm not proud but.." he sighed deeply, "You've guessed the truth."

"You're an automaton."

"Do you know what Quintus means in Latin?"

"The fifth but-"

"I've had five bodies before this." He said, pulling up his shirt sleeve, revealing wiring.

"That's not.. natural." Annabeth said.

"It's still me." He told us, "I'm still Daedalus. Believe me, I've wanted to forget my past but mother doesn't make it easy."

"Athena." I muttered, "You're a child of Athena."

He tugged the collar of his shirt revealing a mark, a bird.

"A murderers brand." Annabeth said.

"For Perdix." I guessed, "Your own nephew."

"I didn't kill him, I simply-"

"Made him lose balance. Let him die."

"When he fell, Athena turned him into a partridge. Whatever body I take, this mark appears."

"Then why did you come to camp to spy on us?"

"Luke told me one story. I had to figure out the other."

"Then you know that we need your help." Annabeth said, "Don't give him the string."

"This labyrinth," he said, "It isn't mine anymore. It's grown out of my reach but it's still tied to my life force." He said, "I've let it be this way so I could hide. From the gods and from death."

"How could you hide from Hades?" I asked, "The furies-"

"Don't see everything." He cut me off. "You've met them. You should know that they don't know everything."

Suddenly Mrs O'Leary bounded into the workshop almost knocking Quintus - or Daedalus - over.

"The whistle worked."

"Of course it did. I wanted to help. Plus.. I felt guilty."

"Guilty for what?"

"Luke has the string. I told him a clear sighted mortal is better but he didn't listen. You're hours too late."