LXXIII) Avoiding You.

They got to the great hall and Jason spotted Reyna among the groups of chatting friends.

Reyna also saw him and walked over to him. She pulled him aside, which Piper noticed. Though she was jealous, she couldn't stay mad at Jason.

"Have you decided?" She asked.

"Can I-"

"I'm sorry Jason, but I'm not a very patient person. If it's a no, it's fine." She said.

Jason kept his eyes on her, worried that if he looked at Piper, his mind would toss his logic aside.

"Would you like to go to the ball with me?" He asked.

A smile slowly graces Reyna's lips. Reyna didn't really smile much and not for something so basic either, so Jason was very surprised.

"I'm glad you asked." She said, "Yes, I'll go with you."

He smiled back, This is the right thing.

Percy and Annabeth didn't even look in each others direction for the rest of the night. Percy was just embarrassed, while Annabeth was hurt.

As more time went on, Annabeth seemed to think more on the situation.

He regretted the kiss.

Would he have not let our kiss happen if he could travel back in time again?

Did he regret our kiss?

"He was just worried." Hermione said, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Worried?" She asked.

"He didn't want things to get awkward," she said, "He was worried you would avoid him."

"Why would he think that I'd avoid him?"

"Because.." she said, "That's just what guys think, I guess."

Hermione and Annabeth were still in their rooms and Piper couldn't help but join the situation.

"He really likes you." She said.

Annabeth shook her head, "Impossible."

"Really?" She asked, "How? You're pretty."

"Though I'm flattered, we could never be a thing."

"Why not?" Hermione asked.

"We just.. can't."

Annabeth had felt more and more watched by the owls, these days, which didn't make her any more comfortable with the situation.

"You keep talking about your mother disapproving of your relationship." Hermione said.

Annabeth nodded slowly, "She didn't even want me to be his friend."

"You shouldn't listen to her, then." Piper encouraged, "You should do what feels right."

"Does it even matter?" Annabeth asked, "He's going with Rachel and I'm going with Harry. We both have our own dates."

"Maybe we could get them to switch?" She offered.

"That's too selfish." Annabeth said, "It's just a night. It'll be fine."

Hermione looked at her friend, worried, "I'll never be too far, okay?" She said, "You can look for me. I'll be there."

Annabeth smiled at her, "You have a night to enjoy too. Don't worry about me."

I've been through worse.

Piper felt like an outsider from their conversation, which was awkward, but her thoughts kept drifting off so she didn't really think too much on them.