XV) "It's Illegal, It Has To Be."

I hadn't seen Annabeth all day, and we were leaving for the quest tomorrow morning. Was she sick?

Grover had said that he will tell her if he saw her but I was a little anxious. Was she okay?

I finally saw her the next morning.

"Hey." I smiled at her.

She returned a tight lipped smile before looking at the pine tree.

I found the interaction a little odd but I didn't say anything since we were good. I hadn't said anything dumb. Well, I hadn't really talked at all, really. I know she's not ignoring me since we're friends now.

"Hey, Grove." I said as Grover ran to us with a backpack full of stuff.

"Morning!"

I smiled at how enthusiastic he was. I, for one wasn't really a morning person but all those days at Hogwarts made it much easier to get up.

Last night, I sat on the Poseidon table alone and I walked into cabin 3 and slept without any noise. It was sad.

This was how my life was.

Alone on the Slytherin table.

Alone on the Poseidon table.

Always alone.

"The oracle said go west. I'm guessing the underworld is west?"

"It is." Grover said as we all got into the van that Argus was driving.

"Wait!" I heard someone yell out.

I got out the van, followed by Annabeth and Grover.

"Sorry, I almost forgot to give you this." Luke said handing me a box. He opened the box to reveal some.. shoes?

"Maia." The shoes grew wings, "They helped me alot on my quest. I hope they can help you too." He smiled at me.

"Thanks." I said.

"Annabeth, be careful, okay? You too Grover." Annabeth blushed, looking away.

Luke walked off, waving at us and Chiron walked over.

"Percy, you probably shouldn't-"

"Yeah, I know." I said looking at the shoes.

"I have something from you too."

He brought out a pen to me.

"A pen?"

"It will turn into a sword when you uncap it and you don't have to worry about losing it since it will always retur to your pocket." He said, handing it to me.

"Thanks." I smiled at him.

"Be safe." He waved at us as we all walked back into the van.

I sat near the window, Grover next to me so I couldn't ask Annabeth what was wrong since she was acting weird.

We rode in silence for a while. Nothing happening outside, though, the storm was getting significantly worse.

Argus dropped us off not too long after since he couldn't be with us for the whole journey. He had things to do too.

The next few days, I tried to think more positively about mom, she was gonna be fine. I was gonna save her.

I kept clutching my keychain while sleeping and I kept fidgeting as I walked.

And the worst thing is that Annabeth didn't talk to me.

Alot of things had happened in those few days but out of everything, I expected Annabeth to be there for me, like she always was.