XXIX) "Are You Sure You're 13?"

POV PERCY

After the diner, I tried my very best to avoid Draco, not that he wanted to interact with me.

The mansion was huge so it wasn't really too difficult to get away.

We finally said our goodbyes and mom and I walked over to the floo system thingy. Yeah, I don't really know how it works, just drop some dust and poof, you're in New York.

Mom and I were supposed to appear at the same place but the thing had other ideas.

I looked around confused at my unfamiliar surroundings, this was not central park.

I was definitely still in New York, just not in an area I'm too familiar with.

I sighed, of course everything related to me gets messed up. Just my luck.

I wasn't really too much of a kid anymore since I found out monsters exist so I wouldn't have much of a problem walking home but I was still lazy and I was not ready for a walk after a big meal.

I was only 10 minutes away if I ran, if I walked it would take maybe 25 and after that meal, I will be crawling back.

The day was still bright and it only made things worse since the sun kept getting in my eyes and sweat started beading on my head. It kept trickling down and it was uncomfortable.

"It just had to be me." I muttered to myself as I wiped the sweat off my forehead right before it was about to enter my eye.

I kept walking for who knows how long when I heard a weird rustling in one of the alleys.

Kids, I don't suggest doing what I did, I'm professionally trained.

"Is anyone there?" I asked and I heard a strange sound, almost like a whimper.

If this was me a year ago, I wouldn't ran as far as humanly possible but now? I'm much, much braver. Little scare me now, well, except chickens. Go ahead, laugh. I know you're not as understanding as Annabeth.

"Hello?" I said again.

"Hello?" A voice echoed and I looked into the dark alley confused.

I cautiously since there was definitely someone or something here.

I reached behind a trash bag and ripped it away to find a guy.

"Oh shit, sorry." I said, I normally didn't disturb the homeless.

"Hello?" A childish voice came out of the dude.

"H- how old are you?" I asked.

The guy looked easily 16 but he had the voice of a 10 year old. Maybe his vocal chords weren't well developed but by seeing how developed the rest of him was, I doubt that's the case.

"No, no, hurt, please." He covered his head with his arms and I looked at him sadly.

"Hey, hey big guy, I won't hurt you." I told him.

"No hurt?"

"I won't hurt you." I said shaking my head. "How old are you?" I asked, not sure if he would understand me.

He held up 10 fingers then 3 more.

"13, are you 13?" I asked and he nodded. "Are your parents.." I didn't want to sound offensive but he was 13 and on the streets. That's not normal, if he was an orphan, he should be in an orphanage.

"Are you hungry?" I asked, trying to make sense of the situation.

He nodded and I patted his back gently.