Chapter 56

Scott cleared the table, Kevin joining him in the kitchen to wash the dishes.

After they finished, they entered the dining room again, just to see that no one had moved from their seats.

Scott sat back in his seat, Mitch grabbing his hand immediately.

Kevin glanced around at everyone. "Why are you guys still here...?"

Todrick pulled out Kevin's chair for him, a silent gesture for him to sit down. "The Alpha needs to speak with us."

Kevin sat down slowly, eyes wide when he considered the possibilities of the things Avi might want to say.

Avi stood up then, all eyes going to him. "So... I haven't been honest with some of you. Omegas, I am very sorry for deceiving you. But, uh... My mother isn't... She's not okay. And... I'm not sure if she ever will be."

Kirstie's eyes widened as she looked up at her Alpha. "W-What?"

"She's dying, Kit.. I'm so sorry for lying to you."

Kirstie had no words. There was not a thing in the world she could say to express how sorry she was.

Alex already had tears in his eyes. "Your mom is leaving you too..."

Avi shook his head once. "Don't cry. Don't you dare cry, Alexander."

Alex shook his head right back, and stood from the table to cry privately.

Jake stood to follow him, giving Avi a nod. "I'm so sorry, Sir. Excuse me." And then he disappeared down the same hall Alex had gone down.

Mitch was just staring at Avi, not really sure what to believe.

Avi looked down at the table, shaking his head again. "I'm sorry, guys..."

Kirstie sat up a little straighter to get his attention. "Why did you lie to me? Why didn't you just tell me? I could've tried to make you feel better. If you needed someone to talk to I--"

"Kit, stop. I'm sorry I didn't say anything. But I just... I can't talk about this right now."

Todrick finally spoke. "How long does she have?"

"Not long... But I think... I think I've told her everything I needed to. I gave her the goodbye speech the last time I saw her. And... I'd like that to be the note she and I end on."

Kevin frowned. "Oh dear.. Alpha I am so sorry. And Omegas, I'm sorry for keeping you in the dark about it. It just wasn't my place to tell..."

Mitch looked up to Scott. "Wait.. Did you know?"

Scott refused to meet his eyes. "Yes.. I did. I'm sorry, baby."

"And you didn't--"

"Don't. Honey, we can argue later. Right now, I need you to give Avi some respect." Scott interrupted.

Avi glanced over at him, a little in shock. That would be the second time, in less than a few hours, that Scott took initiative.

Mitch squeezed Scott's hand in apology, and turned to Avi. "I'm so sorry to hear about your mom."

Avi just shrugged. "It's fine.. I mean, not fine. But it's... Bearable. And Todrick, I'm sorry for being cold with Alexander... I just.. I don't want your sympathy."

*********

After finally being dismissed from the table, Scott took Mitch into the kitchen to make him some hot chocolate, hoping it would cheer him up.