Chapter 138

When it was finally Avi's Pack's turn to do their interviews, he sent the Betas in first because he figured theirs would be the quickest.

Jake and Alex were the next to go, though they were sent to another room.

Scott was laughing at something Kirstie was saying, the two of them keeping each other company. Mitch was stood beside Scott, their hands intertwined as they waited for their turn.

Avi was simply scanning the room, looking for any threats as usual. When he scanned past Mitch, he looked back to him a moment later. "You okay, Tiny?"

Mitch glanced up at him and nodded, giving him a smile. "Just a little nervous, that's all."

"There's no reason to be nervous, babes. They're looking for security threats. And you, little one, do not fall under that category."

Mitch pouted. "But... They're still gonna ask me stuff."

"Of course."

"What if I answer incorrectly? What if I'm a bad Omega?"

"Mitchell, come on. That's not going to happen."

"But--"

He was interrupted with an Alpha walking over to Avi, and asking him to send the next group into the third room.

Avi nodded once, turning to Scott, reaching across Mitch to tap his arm. "You're up, Rookie."

Scott nodded at him, smile on his face because of whatever he and Kirstie had been talking about, and he gave Mitch's temple a kiss before gesturing for him to lead the way as they followed the Alpha into the other room.

Kirstie watched them go with a smile, and then took a step closer to Avi. "We're next then?"

"Yeah. I was hoping one of the groups would be back out here before I'd have to go, since you can't come... But I guess we'll just do your interview first."

She nodded, taking a deep breath. "Okay."

Avi could sense how nervous she was, the instant it began to radiate off of her skin. "Oh please. Not you too."

"I'm sorry?"

"Why are you and Mitchell so nervous? It's not like this will determine your Rank, or anything even remotely important. They just want to be sure you're not a threat to their organization. And you and Mitchell are literally the least threatening of anyone here. Even Alexander at least looks kind of tough."

"I mean..." She looked down, and shrugged. "I guess the Counsel just makes me nervous. And I'm sure they do with Mitchie and Allie too."

"But why? They're not the same Counsel they used to be."

"Still. I don't like the thought of that day when I had to watch you leave to fight, without knowing if you'd make it back. As for Mitchie and Alex... They just feel betrayed, because the Counsel left them to suffer in that other pack."

"I don't know if that's necessarily the Counsel's fault..."

Kirstie scoffed, finding the courage to vocalize her disagreement. "With all the evaluations we used to do? The tests? The Inspections? The amount of times we had to come to the building itself to get tested? How could they possibly have not noticed?"

"I don't know, Kitten."

"As bruised, and beaten up as Mitch and Alex were when I first met them? As broken as they were? And no one noticed?"