48. They're Just Objects

I got on the plane to Huddersfield in the morning and thought about everything I would say when I got there. Also everything I wouldn't say, at least not with words. I didn't have a crazy, romantic day planned like David had when he came to visit me, but I was sure he'd be just as happy with being able to hold me again. I knew it would be enough for me at least.

When I finally arrived, I caught a cab and gave the driver the address. He was a large man, with muscular arms and a tough face, but he made polite small talk as we drove.

We soon pulled up to the house and my heart started to pound. There was a chance that he wasn't home, but I doubted what with his money being stolen that he'd go anywhere. He could be recording right now, but I decided to think positive and assume he wasn't busy.

"Would you like me to help you with your bags?" the driver asked in his gruff tone.

"That would be lovely, thank you." I stepped out of the car and just took in the scene for a minute. Everything was exactly as I remembered it. The sun was setting behind the house which made the sky pink and orange and it looked beautiful.

We walked up to the door and I gestured to the step, "You can set them there."

"G'day miss," he said and shuffled back to the taxi.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and rang the doorbell.

Marley started barking and I smiled. I had missed the dogs too.

A minute passed with no response. I waited another before knocking. I started to get worried, what if he really wasn't home? I didn't have a backup plan.

Finally, I heard footsteps pound down the stairs and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Marley! Lily! Outside!" He must have put them in the backyard so they wouldn't charge out at whoever was there.

The doorknob turned, and the door slowly swung open.

He was frowning, but when he looked up and saw my face, his expression melted and he seemed immediately on the verge of tears.

"Boy," he whispered, "are you a sight for sore eyes."

He took me in his arms and I shrugged, "I figured you needed a friend about now."

I pressed my lips against his and he drank up the kiss greedily. I savored the incredible sensation and let myself get transported to our own little world. He was a bit rougher with me than usual, but I knew he had good reason.

I pulled away slightly so I could speak, "I was kind of hoping... you'd let me stay a few nights?"

He didn't bother making a joke. His tone wasn't even sarcastic when he said, "Please do."

I smiled and reached down to grab my bag, but as I did, my arm was yanked behind my back and I gasped. White-hot pain shot down my spine and I would've collapsed if I wasn't forced to stand straight. I felt something sharp at my throat and saw who my captor was out of the corner of my eye. It was the cab driver.

David's face contorted in anger and he reared back to punch him, but he gripped the knife tighter and growled, "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

He snarled and I could see how much he wanted to connect his fist with this guy's jaw. "Let her go," he growled.

"Oh, gladly, once you give me all your valuables."

"And if I don't?" he asked through clenched teeth.

"Then you're going to have an awful mess on your doorstep." David's fist hovered in midair for a few more moments before he reluctantly lowered it. He grinned maliciously, "Good man."