58. Could've Been Anyone

Later that afternoon, someone came to the door. My dad looked up from his computer at me, "I think that's Cam. Should I let him in?"

I shook my head vigorously and went into my room so he wouldn't be able to see me. I heard their muffled voices for a minute, but then they grew louder.

"Angel?" Cam called from down the hall.

"Cam, she doesn't want to see anyone right now."

"Well that's too bad. Angel, where are you?"

Footsteps came up to my door and stopped. "Cam, please, she needs to rest."

"I just want to know what's going on!" The door opened and Cam shoved past my dad who was trying to block him from coming in. He froze when he saw me and I scowled at him. He blinked a few times, then grimaced. "It was Cole, wasn't it?"

My eyes widened in surprise and he sighed, walking over and setting himself on the bed next to me. He massaged his face, "I can't believe he took it out on you, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have said those things."

"What... things?" I croaked.

He turned and gawked at me, "Your voice..."

I frowned, "I know. Don't want, sympathy."

"But-"

"No," I said firmly. "I'll be... fine."

He scooted closer and draped an arm around me, rubbing my shoulder soothingly. "That's right. I'll help you get through it, we all will."

I laid my head against his and closed my eyes, happy that I was in someone's embrace, even if it wasn't David's. Eventually I asked, "What did, Cole... say?"

I heard his teeth grind together for a moment before he began. "I was there when he saw the cast list. At first he thought it was a joke, but then everyone started congratulating me and he realized I had actually gotten the part. He tried to get me to drop out, but I obviously would never do that. We exchanged some words that I would rather not repeat." He licked his lips, "He ended up storming away and I may have... called some things after him. I thought he would want to fight me, if anything. I can't believe he went after you."

I reached for his hand and laced our fingers together, "It's okay."

"No, it's not." I opened my mouth to say more but he must have known what I was going to say because he shook his head against mine. "Don't even say that it wasn't my fault. It was. I should've realized what he was thinking. I should've stayed with you, protected you."

"Cam-"

"I hate seeing my friends get hurt. It should've been me, you had nothing to do with it." He paused, then whispered again, "It should've been me."

I pulled away from him and he gave me a sad look.

"His fault," I stated. "Not yours."

"Angel, what did I ju-"

"He's an ass. His head's messed up. Could've been anyone."

His eyes filled with hurt and guilt. "But it wasn't just anyone," he mumbled.

My voice was threatening to quit but I forced it to work for me. "Am I not a student, like everyone else?"

"Well, yeah, you are, bu-"

"Have I not made mistakes?"

"Sure, we all have, bu-"

"Do I seem different than any other human being?"

"Uh, yeah. You're special. I didn't pick you as my best friend for no reason."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "Not, helping."