22. I Guess I Really Do Live Under A Rock

The next day, I saw Cam at his locker after classes so I went to talk to him. "Hey Cam."

He was crouching to grab something that was on the floor, so he glanced up to see who it was. When he saw it was me, his eyes widened and he quickly stood, straightening his shirt. "Uh, hey Angel."

"So, did you think about it?"

"About... oh, of course! Yes, I did. I think I'm going to do it, if you do it."

I quirked an eyebrow, "If I do it?"

"Yeah, well, you know, she said we were good together. Why, did you not want to?"

"No, I am going to do it."

He let out a sigh of relief and grinned, "Cool."

"Are you alright? You seem a little on edge."

He slung his backpack over his shoulder and shut his locker, "Who, me? Never better. You want to go tell her now?"

"Yeah, I was just heading there."

"Awesome." We started walking and he put on his cap.

"Do you ever take that thing off?" I wondered.

"Oh, not really, it's sorta my good luck charm I guess. I know, it sounds stupid, but..." he must not have known how to finish his sentence because he trailed off.

I shook my head and pulled my emerald necklace out from under my shirt. I almost never took it off, it reminded me of David and my trip. "No no, I totally get it. I have one too."

He glanced over and smiled, "Nice."

I tucked it away again and said, "So, you're a sophomore, huh?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"You're in that locker bay."

"Oh, of course. And you're a freshie?"

I nodded, "Yup."

"You seem more mature than the other freshmen I've met."

"You're very mature for your age." I smiled at the random memory that came to my mind. "So I've heard," I whispered. He didn't say anything else so I asked, "Where are you from?"

"California."

"Really? That's cool, why'd you move up here?"

"My dad's work."

"What's he do?"

"Construction."

"And your mom?"

He glanced at me then looked over his shoulder, "I think we passed it."

"Oh, right." We went back and knocked on the door marked with her name.

"Come in!" she called. She looked up from her computer and smiled, "Hello. Have you come with a decision?"

We looked at each other and nodded, "We'll do it."

"Oh, wonderful! Rehearsal on Monday, don't forget."

"Sounds good."

We left and he said, "I guess it's official then."

"Indeed. Well, see you on Monday."

He rubbed the back of his neck and glanced at me, "Do you, uh, need a ride home?"

I shook my head, "Oh, that's alright, my dad's coming. Thank you though."

He looked at his shoes and stuffed his hands in his pockets, "Okay. I'll see ya later then."