52. I Can Prove It

Miss Darnell beamed when she saw us, "Oh, Angel, Cam, my darlings!" She embraced both of us and then gazed at us adoringly. "So good to see you're still together."

"We're not," we said in unison.

She recoiled slightly, "What do you mean?"

"We never were," I said.

"It was misinterpreted feelings, we're just good friends. We're both in serious relationships now."

She seemed a little disappointed. "Oh. Well, I suppose if you're happy, that's all we can hope for, eh?" She sat at her desk and started typing on her laptop, changing the subject. "I'm glad you stopped in, I wanted to talk to you about the musical. I picked this one especially for you two. It's pretty tricky, but I know you can pull it off."

I shook my head, "I'm not auditioning."

"That's alright," she said, not taking her eyes from the computer screen. "You don't need an audition, I know I want you for the lead."

"No, I mean, I can't do it this year."

Her hands froze and she slowly looked up at me. "What?"

"Of course I'd love to, it was so much fun last time, but I've just been so busy lately. I was working enough over the summer and now that I'm adding school to that, it's going to be so difficult."

She frowned, "You have a job?"

"Of sorts."

"I'm sure we could figure something out, maybe you could come in on the weekends or something."

I wanted to be able to say yes, I really do enjoy singing and acting, but YouTube has taken over my life. "I'm sorry, I would get way too stressed. I just can't."

She clasped her hands together in a pleading gesture, "Please, you have to! You're the only one who can pull this character off!"

I shrugged helplessly, "Believe me, I wish I could. But maybe it'll be better this way. You get to give someone else a chance, let them have their turn in the spotlight." She opened her mouth to protest but I continued, "Some of these girls are really talented. Even if they're not quite there yet, with some one-on-one training, I'm sure they could be great."

She contemplated for a long while before she finally sighed, "I suppose you're right. Do you think you could maybe help with auditions then? I'd love to have a second," she glanced at Cam, "and third opinion."

"Oh, no," Cam said and she grimaced, probably expecting him to say he couldn't do it either. "I'm just going to do a regular audition like everyone else. I don't want special treatment."

She smiled and nodded in understanding and turned to me expectantly.

"Hmm, I guess I could spare a few days for that."

"Oh, wonderful! They're on the 24th and 25th with callbacks the following day. Here's some information on the show," she handed me a booklet and I leafed through it. "If you ever have time after school, feel free to stop in at rehearsals. I'm sure everyone would appreciate some tips from someone as talented as yourself."

"That sounds great. It was nice to see you Darny!"

"You too dears!"

We left her and decided to go to my house to play some video games. It was so much fun, just like last year. After a bit, David skyped me. I hit the answer button with my elbow since I had a controller in my hands and waited for him to say something.

"What, you're not even going to look at me?"

I stuck out my tongue in concentration, "Sorry... busy, kicking butt."